Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Boeing’s marketing department were (are?) experts at selling as “extras” hardware that came installed as standards. On the 737 NG you only got a colour FMS if you paid despite every unit coming colour capable as standard. The only clue was if you rebooted the FMS the boot screen was in colour and all other pages were black and white.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
and it's been going on for a long time. Way back in the 1970s we sold a small business computer with a basic model and a premium model and the only difference was the clock speed which was a microcode parameter set in 30 secs by an engineer.
My posts relate to the practice of options already being built in. I don't know that the colour display option, referred to by Josh, is safety critical. I did not comment on the rights and wrongs of the management practices of Boeing. However, if Boeing execs deserve jail, I'd suggest there are FAA managers requiring twice the length of sentence.
eltonioni liked this
By riverrock
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Safety features should never be paid-for options.

Car manufacturers have generally accepted this now, and generally now all models come with ABS and airbags, no matter what options you pay for.

Thats because EU says they have to.
https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/pres ... ng,%20More

Question is - should the FAA have said Boeing had to include the features.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
eltonioni wrote:None of them actively prevent you from driving safely though. A few Boeing execs need to go to jail to focus minds on what should be on the optional extras list.

Some would say that Boeing did what the Feds let them do.

Too true sadly. Bad regulation usually goes hand in hand with too much regulation.
By Flyin'Dutch'
eltonioni wrote:Too true sadly. Bad regulation usually goes hand in hand with too much regulation.

I thought the accepted root-cause for the disaster is poor oversight by the regulator and profiteering.

That's neither too much or bad regulation but dysfunctionality.

I agree that more rules isn't the solution here, no doubt hare-brained politicians might think it is.