Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By agfoxx
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hi all,

Has anybody on here flown a Jodel D112?

I'm possibly looking at getting a share in one of these machines. I have an NPPL (M), working to convert onto NPPL (SEP), and I'm very interested in vintage/taildragger types.

Obviously, I'd do proper differences training before going anywhere near a taildragger such as Jodel.

But what can I expect from the plane? What is it like to fly? To live with? What should I look for when I'm taken for a test flight? And generally what would you look at if you were considering a share in one?

I'm struggling to find any flight tests, hence asking here.

Thanks!
By Genghis the Engineer
So far as I know, all Jodel D11s are basically the same.

Yes, I've flown one - quite similar to the Condor, but you sort of got the impression that the designers of the two went to school together, were both good pupils, but didn't get on. So lots of design solutions, sort of the same, but implemented differently.

Performance good for such a small engine, if not overly fast handling very crisp and enjoyable, needs a reasonable amount of runway, good view out.

Take all standard advice on wood and fabric aeroplanes, other than that, I'd certainly not talk you out of buying one. Stuff to check on an evaluation flight? Crisp handling, no unwanted slop on the controls, check the climb rate and max level flight speed against the LAA approval docs/manual, stall it - stall speed should be in about the place in the manual - it will drop a wing but shouldn't try and spin. And ask deep questions about the quality of maintenance, independence of their maintainer from their inspector, when it's likely to next need recovering and whether there's cash in the bank for that?

Feel free to invite me to come and teach you on it, I love instructing on older taildraggers like that, and as an ex microlight pilot, I usually know what the major pilot issues are going from M to SSEA.

G
By JodelDavo
I used to own one. Best bang for your bucks, and I miss it. It wasn't fast, but it was FUN! I've flown every Jodel sub type apart from a D9 and they are all good, honest aeroplanes

The D112 is easy to fly, and is hand swing generally. The A65 engine is getting less easy to get bits for, but not impossible

PM me if you have any questions

(PS, I sold it because it needed a fabric job. I've now got another bigger Jodel. :thumleft: )
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By TheKentishFledgling
I have a few hours in both a 112 and a 120a, a for airbrakes (pops out from beneath the wing) which we were highly effective, and produced an instant large drop in airspeed and significant increase to ROD. Lovely handling but I always found the 112 felt underpowered.

I think they’re delightful little aeroplanes, I’d happily buy into the right share if one near me was available at the right price. I love how the cranked wing looks - very pretty and “just right”.
By mick w
A wonderful little Aircraft , with sweet handling , just so flipping uncomfortable . :wink:
By golfcharlie
I have owned and flown the D112. Faultless handling. Do what Genghis says. The cockpit could be cramped with 2 POB. Depends on your body size and that of your PAX if any. Jodels keep their second hand value, so no risk of losing because of depreciation. Definitely a grass runway aeroplane, so if it is based on a strip so much the better, provided the strip is big enough. This design will never go out of fashion. Could be the beginning of a love affair.......
By ChampChump
I've racked up some hours in two D120s: very pleasant aeroplanes with a wonderful wing. There are plenty out there, all very slightly different, visually and in regard to weight and space inside. I have only flown with the C90, but AIUI the smaller engines are also pretty efficient.

Flight tests in back issues of magazines tend to confirm that there's nothing not to like.

Sering suggestion: don't leave spats on during the winter if based on a grass airfield.
By Charliesixtysix
Cor, so glad nobody told me they are definitely a grass runway aircraft... it would have spoiled the five years and 300hrs of fun our two Jodels provided no end - they never worried a jot if it were hard or grass beneath their feet. :wink:

Super aircraft both, with lovely handling and that oh so efficient wing in the cruise. :thumleft:

( I do agree though that the D120 had a two hour comfort endurance limit for my 6ft farmer-build frame. Our D150 Mascaret however was different again, so so comfy...).
FrankS liked this
By Miscellaneous
golfcharlie wrote:Definitely a grass runway aeroplane...

Im interested in your reasoning for that viewpoint, @golfcharlie :?
By Trent772
Get a Champ........

Next question 8)
By Paul_Sengupta
Miscellaneous wrote:
golfcharlie wrote:Definitely a grass runway aeroplane...

Im interested in your reasoning for that viewpoint, @golfcharlie :?

A wooden aeroplane just belongs on grass, innit?

Metal and plastic on tarmac.

Says he, who flies a metal aeroplane from a farm strip.
By golfcharlie
My reasoning: Grass much more forgiving of PP piloting than is a hard runway (we all make mistakes). Also, easier in a X-Wind and more economical with the Dunlops.