Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Duncan M
Why buy a share, get a whole one.... they are as cheap as chips!

Check condition of wood and fabric covering. Make sure drain holes on underside of
wing trailing edge are clear. Allowing water buid up will rot the wood.
Rudder post is another vulnerable area.
Check fabric, but many Jodels are now covered in more robust modern materials.
Check you fit in the seat and can see out. The seat is on the main wing spar and is not
adjustable. Different size cushions can be fitted to make more comfortable.
The A65 engine fitted to the J112 is hand swing. You need to be happy with that feature.
The handling should be crisp and precise, very different to, for example the cessnas and pipers most often used for training.
Many Jodels to have a "toe in" set up un the landing wheels. This is supposed to help tracking straight when landing, but will give excessive tyre ware on tarmac, hence the grass runway preference.
performance wise, they are all slightly different. You should expect 500fpm climb and cruise in region of 80kn but obviously engine condition and prop type will have a big bearing on that.
Operate from 500m easily.
Michael P could add a lot more I am sure. There is a Jodel yahoo group.
By mick w
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The 'Toe in' & geometry , is such that as the Tail rises on take off , it reduces to lessen the drag , & vice versa when landing . :thumright:
By David Wood
Had a share in one for several years. Lovely aeroplanes, one of my favourites. Need a bit of TLC, but that's half the fun.
By Paul_Sengupta
Miscellaneous wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:A wooden aeroplane just belongs on grass, innit?

I'll propose moving ours (once flying again). :D

Move? Can't you just get the mower out?
By Miscellaneous
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Move? Can't you just get the mower out?

Mowers don't work too well on tarmac, pretty ineffective. :D Jodel works fine though, I was just feeling guilty about it being based there, apparently it shouldn't be there. :wink:
By Miscellaneous
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Have you tried flying to a grass airfield and then asking the aeroplane which one it prefers?

Indeed, in my early days of flying her she sure did squirm and play up when on tarmac. Not unlike a toddler throwing a tantrum, to be honest. However, with a little nurture and despite there being hints of misbehaving if not paying her sufficient attention, I do believe she has modified her nature. :wink:
Paul_Sengupta, mick w liked this
By foxmoth
golfcharlie wrote:My reasoning: Grass much more forgiving of PP piloting than is a hard runway (we all make mistakes). Also, easier in a X-Wind and more economical with the Dunlops.

whilst grass might be a little more forgiving the lumpiness of most grass fields offsets the wear on the aircraft, I would question the statement about easier in a crosswind so IMHO it is only really the tyre wear that holds any validity, I certainly would not let the fact that I would be operating of tarmac put me off.
The Jodel does not really appeal to me being non aerobatic but have thoroughly enjoyed flying them when I have had the chance and I think you will find most pilots that have flown them have found them very nice.
By Duncan M
The tyre wear is only a problem if you don't have £220 for each new tyre. Have seen tyres last less than 100hours on aircraft with too much toe in and landed on tarmac runways.
By agfoxx
Guys - as somebody who's not really across taildraggers, and who grew up, as a pilot, on microlights.... What's "toe in"? Thanks.
By mikehallam
It's just a feature of all the tail wheel a/c I've owned in 50 years that grass is easiest.
I ran the larger DR1051 for 20 years and grass landings required less instant footwork, possibly the extra drag compared with hard reduced tendencies to skip and jump, or, as I recall - the dreaded tail-wheel shimmy.
Grass just feels easier all round.