Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
By MikeW
#1692315
T67M wrote:Interestingly my old, resurrected 196 also seems to be working almost normally - the only oddity is that the clock seems to be a few seconds out.

Why are people getting different results? My guess is that some devices have internal Real Time Clocks which helped them through the rollover, whilst others either don't have an RTC or the RTC battery is dead and have had more difficulty.


No it's not that.
Good explanation here https://www.gps-repeaters.com/blog/gps- ... -6th-2019/

Is your 196 definitely showing the right date? If so its clock should be right too. The few seconds are due to lost leap year corrections, which shouldn't have been lost if the date rollover worked.
By Lefty
#1692318
I spoke to Garmin today re my Aera 500.
The guy told me that Garmin are struggling to understand why some units are affected and others are not. They have set up an investigation but haven’t yet found a reason why only some units are affected.

They said they are working on a fix and will email all affected owners when the fix is ready - and they have sent me an email confirming this.

I would therefore recommend that if you have an affected unit, that you report it to Garmin. If not, you won’t be on their list of owners to be emailed with the fix.
By MikeW
#1692320
hatzflyer wrote:My tom tom in the car is now more of a Tom's Gone. Totally frozen ! Is that just a co-incidence ? :(


My wife's old Tom Tom One stopped working in the middle of a journey on Monday. Frozen position.
Curiously it started working again on Tuesday!
Coincident intermittent fault or what?
By Colonel Panic
#1692321
Thanks @MikeW ; just booted my Pilot III up using the PAGE and ON (some form of soft reset?), and the time is correct (in UTC) and the date is 22-SEP-99; running that date through a days calculator and it is wrong by 7168 days, which is exactly seven "1024" cycles. Presumably not a coincidence.

It locks on to satellites well, gives the correct location, so will call it Job Done and return johnm's lead on Friday.
By MikeW
#1692322
Colonel Panic wrote:Thanks @MikeW ; just booted my Pilot III up using the PAGE and ON (some form of soft reset?), and the time is correct (in UTC) and the date is 22-SEP-99; running that date through a days calculator and it is wrong by 7168 days, which is exactly seven "1024" cycles. Presumably not a coincidence.

It locks on to satellites well, gives the correct location, so will call it Job Done and return johnm's lead on Friday.


Is your UTC correct, or is it 4 or 5 seconds out?
User avatar
By skydriller
#1692330
MikeW wrote:Is your 196 definitely showing the right date? If so its clock should be right too. The few seconds are due to lost leap year corrections, which shouldn't have been lost if the date rollover worked.


Mine is showing the correct GMT date and time...

Regards, SD..
By Colonel Panic
#1692381
MikeW wrote:Is your UTC correct, or is it 4 or 5 seconds out?

20 seconds. :shock: (This morning it is showing "LCL", but the time displayed is GMT.)
By MikeW
#1692392
Colonel Panic wrote:
MikeW wrote:Is your UTC correct, or is it 4 or 5 seconds out?

20 seconds. :shock: (This morning it is showing "LCL", but the time displayed is GMT.)


Strange. Pity I left mine at the airfield, will check it next week.
By MikeW
#1692796
A gentleman in Garmin support called Artur Chruslicki emailed me first to explain why the correction program might or might not work, then again later to say he had managed to dig out a Pilot III and the program and tried it - and it works!
Isn't that great support?
Now I must find a way of connecting to do it!
User avatar
By matthew_w100
#1718705
Sorry to resuscitate this thread but...

Poking around in the Aladdin's cave that is my garage I happened upon a Garmin GPSmap 296. Completely dead - so dead that it wouldn't accept being charged and just said "battery missing". So I spent a happy afternoon applying a defibrillator (rather than spend £50 on a new battery - I'm tight now I'm on benefits) and recovered it. It now runs perfectly except that the date is 21-JAN-00. And the "set date" function in settings is greyed out.

Did anyone come across a way of fixing the 296? The methods suggested worked super-well on my Pilot III which is now as new, and it would be nice to get it's big brother running too.
User avatar
By PeteSpencer
#1718710
My 296 which I have used continuously for the last 15 years or so (now as back up) was completely unaffected at the time and shows correct date time zone etc

Edit Looks like I’m repeating myself said this earlier
However if you registered your 296 on the MyGarmin website when you bought it you’ll find that it is still supported so that should sort it out

Peter
User avatar
By PaulB
#1718739
matthew_w100 wrote:Sorry to resuscitate this thread but...

Poking around in the Aladdin's cave that is my garage I happened upon a Garmin GPSmap 296. Completely dead - so dead that it wouldn't accept being charged and just said "battery missing". So I spent a happy afternoon applying a defibrillator (rather than spend £50 on a new battery - I'm tight now I'm on benefits) and recovered it. It now runs perfectly except that the date is 21-JAN-00. And the "set date" function in settings is greyed out.


I'm interested in this defibrillator thing... my 296's battery is also dead.
User avatar
By Paul_Sengupta
#1718775
I've just, as in this evening, opened up the dead battery pack on my VXA-700 handheld radio and jury rigged my 18650/18500 charger into each battery (cell!) in turn (there are 18500 lithium batteries in there) to bring them up from around 0V to around 3.8-4V. Since doing that, I've put the battery pack together again and now the radio works on the battery again - and the charger built into the radio is charging the battery again. Happy days. Didn't need the two 18500s I've bought just in case!

Now I have to find something to buy to power with two 18500s... :D
By Boxkite
#1718818
matthew_w100 wrote:Sorry to resuscitate this thread but...

Poking around in the Aladdin's cave that is my garage I happened upon a Garmin GPSmap 296. Completely dead - so dead that it wouldn't accept being charged and just said "battery missing". So I spent a happy afternoon applying a defibrillator (rather than spend £50 on a new battery - I'm tight now I'm on benefits) and recovered it. It now runs perfectly except that the date is 21-JAN-00. And the "set date" function in settings is greyed out.

Did anyone come across a way of fixing the 296? The methods suggested worked super-well on my Pilot III which is now as new, and it would be nice to get it's big brother running too.

Non-Garmin batteries can be had for £15.
User avatar
By PaulB
#1718819
Boxkite wrote:Non-Garmin batteries can be had for £15.


...but are they worth £15? (Alternative wording: - is there a good source of reliable non-OEM batteries?)
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7