Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Colonel Panic
My beloved Garmin Pilot III is showing "10:46:28 LCL, and 23-AUG-99" - the time is correct (UTC) but presumably it has not rolled over re: date. Does anyone know if this can be remedied?
By Sooty25
Colonel Panic wrote:My beloved Garmin Pilot III is showing "10:46:28 LCL, and 23-AUG-99" - the time is correct (UTC) but presumably it has not rolled over re: date. Does anyone know if this can be remedied?

do you know what software version is in it? V2.07 was the very latest.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Colonel Panic wrote:My beloved Garmin Pilot III is showing "10:46:28 LCL, and 23-AUG-99" - the time is correct (UTC) but presumably it has not rolled over re: date. Does anyone know if this can be remedied?

I've got one of those in a box in the attic but it hasn't been switched on in at least 5 years....
By Sooty25
johnm wrote:

I've got one of those in a box in the attic but it hasn't been switched on in at least 5 years....

Safe to say the internal battery is "cream crackered" by now! Might work as a paperweight?
johnm liked this
By Colonel Panic
Sooty25 wrote:

do you know what software version is in it? V2.07 was the very latest.

v2.06
Atlantic Intl Aviation Database / Cycle 0211 Effective 31-OCT-02 to 28-NOV-02
International Land Data v1.01

It all seems to be working fine, and latches on to several satellites so it would be a great shame not to keep it in a working condition.
By patowalker
Mine is also showing the date as 23 Aug 99, Software version 2.13, Cycle 0701, 18 Jan 2007 to 15 Feb 2007, Atlantic Highway 1.0, Memory battery low, Stored data lost.

Finds satellites quickly and works!
By T67M

I don't have a GPS III to test this on, but one of the discussion groups I monitor for timing experts recently had the following post:

I dug out my old Garmin GPS-III's (mid 1990's vintage !). The internal backup batteries had completely died after many years of non-use, so it took a while for them to find the satellites, but when they did, they, of course, came up with an August 1999 date. A quick "Google" found that someone is hosting a zipped Windows executable (apparently originally from Garmin) that you run when the satnav is connected to your PC via a serial cable, and it corrects whatever internally so that the date is reported correctly. Works like an absolute charm! The program doesn't say it is specifically for the GPS-III, so it might be using a standard (undocumented, of course!) message that will work on a whole bunch of receivers. Might be worth giving it a try? See:

https://sites.google.com/site/gnbaddele ... ftware.zip

I have no way of validating the software linked to, so please be careful, but it might just be useful.

Another post in the same group noted that the clock is actually 1024 weeks and 4 seconds out due to the leap seconds which have occurred between August 1999 (the last rollover) and today. Again, I have no way to validate this claim, and I believe there have been five leap seconds hence there is some doubt as to the validity of the claim.
By Sooty25
patowalker wrote:Mine is also showing the date as 23 Aug 99, Software version 2.13, Cycle 0701, 18 Jan 2007 to 15 Feb 2007, Atlantic Highway 1.0, Memory battery low, Stored data lost.

Finds satellites quickly and works!

Oh! Garmin website only shows v2.07! Oh well, that's that theory busted! :lol:

Like johm's unit, I'd suggest paperweight!
By MikeW
There were two (at least) versions of the Pilot III and the early ones will not accept the software revisions above 2.07 AIUI.
By Colonel Panic
Thanks all; does anyone have a suitable cable that I could borrow for a week or two? I'd pay for postage both ways. Very preferably one with a USB plug on one end, but if I can only find one with a serial port I will try to find a friend with a suitable Windows computer. (I only have Macs.)

Or maybe I could post my Pilot III to you if you have access to everything else? A couple of beer tokens would be included 8)
Flyin'Dutch' liked this