Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By joe-fbs
Just posted in The Other Place:

"Andrew Alistair McDicken, ex RAF, retired pilot and test pilot, sadly passed away on Tuesday 12th February 2019.

The family wish to hold a Memorial Service at St James Church in Gawsworth, Cheshire SK11 9RJ on the 22nd March 2019 at 13:00.

Anyone wishing to pay their respects would be most welcome."

I knew Alistair for just two of his seventy something years but in that time he was a great teacher, mentor and friend.

A good idea of him can be gained here:

http://thetartanterror.blogspot.com/201 ... icken.html
I was supposed to have the chance to fly with Al a couple of years ago, to (rather needlessly) endorse some of his civil qualifications - ones which would have automatically happened under the UK or JAR systems, as we agreed. Sadly weather intervened on all my available dates, such that a colleague had the privilege of actually flying with him instead, leaving me to do the ground elements. His humility was notable by his references to aircraft demonstrated crosswind components and his respect for the test pilots who had found such numbers, so we didn't fly because he didn't see the point in insulting people he didn't know. His personality was notable by how quickly our couple of days veered into discussing the best motorbike roads in the Highlands, from his earlier years, and how hard it was to get him to talk about flight tests he had done, other than in passing. Coincidentally I recently reread "Avro One", by one of his CTP predecessors at what became BAe Systems, and had meant to email him with references to a couple of flights he was mentioned as completing. Too late, sadly.

A huge shock to many of us, even well outside the flight test world, who met Al in passing and developed the greatest of respect for him, both as a pilot and as a person.
A most inspiring memorial on Friday. The church was packed, quite literally standing room only. One of Alistair's daughters spoke very well about family life; a former colleague from ETPS and beyond spoke, with much dust in his throat, about their flying together; High Flight was read; a local bishop spoke; and there was an excellent gathering afterwards. I really wish I had been able to place microphones to record the reminiscences of the large number of retired TPs and FTEs present!
Dave W liked this