Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By chevvron
Rob P wrote:
chevvron wrote:I'm tempted to suggest 'Pushing Tin' but that doesn't have any TWR/App etc...

But it does have Angelina Jolie and is currently free to view on Prime.

:) Rob P

Yes although the characters were portayed quite accurately, not all us us get to go to bed with Angelina. :cry:
By Rob P
chevvron wrote:... not all us us get to go to bed with Angelina.

Any idea what percentage do?

Rob P

Asking for a friend 8)
By AlanM
Def not Chevvers! The cravatte used to snap knicker elastic at 100m though (errr allegedly!)
By Mike Tango
Josh wrote:
Mike Tango wrote:
I dunno, FIN in a 70kt x-wind at 3,000ft with TEAM and Time Based Separation (first generation or enhanced) had its moments. Did you ever do it?

If you think that’s bad, try landing it on 27R off the approach we’ve been so smartly vectored for :shock:

Friday was fun...

Tower was always entertaining in a ‘23’ wind, even when 23 was still available.

I only saw 05 in use a handful of times, that even more so. Doubt much of what was done on it from an ATC perspective would be allowed these days... ‘start your takeoff roll now, expect take off clearance shortly’ sort of thing to traffic lined up on 09R with one on short final for 05.

When they moved the radar away it took a lot of the fun out of it, not being able to be upstairs on those sorts of days.
By chevvron
Mike Tango wrote:
Josh wrote:
Mike Tango wrote:
I dunno, FIN in a 70kt x-wind at 3,000ft with TEAM and Time Based Separation (first generation or enhanced) had its moments. Did you ever do it?

If you think that’s bad, try landing it on 27R off the approach we’ve been so smartly vectored for :shock:

Friday was fun...

Tower was always entertaining in a ‘23’ wind, even when 23 was still available.

I only saw 05 in use a handful of times, that even more so. Doubt much of what was done on it from an ATC perspective would be allowed these days... ‘start your takeoff roll now, expect take off clearance shortly’ sort of thing to traffic lined up on 09R with one on short final for 05.

When they moved the radar away it took a lot of the fun out of it, not being able to be upstairs on those sorts of days.

I can remember 05R being used for arrivals; not only did it limit Farnborough departures and Fairoaks circuit, but when vectoring for an 'SRA' they passed straight over my then home in Frimley.
By chevvron
Rob P wrote:
chevvron wrote:I'm tempted to suggest 'Pushing Tin' but that doesn't have any TWR/App etc...

But it does have Angelina Jolie and is currently free to view on Prime.

:) Rob P

Unlike 'Ground Control' which was carp from beginning to end.
By Mike Tango
chevvron wrote:I can remember 05R being used for arrivals; not only did it limit Farnborough departures and Fairoaks circuit, but when vectoring for an 'SRA' they passed straight over my then home in Frimley.

They’d dropped the ‘R’ by the time I arrived and saw it towards the end of its use as an active runway. It finally went when they built stands on the threshold to service T4 iirc.

When it was decommissioned I nicked one of the tower runway designator strips to keep for posterity. It now sits in a corner of home office atop a brick from the old control tower!

Last edited by Mike Tango on Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Cub
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A couple of observations about Pushing Tin. I may have driven home after a night duty and not only driven into the wrong drive but actually to the wrong town. Also, the scene I never expected to come true was my work colleagues taking bets as to whether I would make out of the car park into the front door. Funny old world.....
By Bert Smallow
BillBravo wrote:When I was training at Liverpool a long time ago, like the OP perhaps, I had an idea of a busy ATC control room with a team of controllers passing on strips and working frantically together to coordinate traffic. This was based on footage of big centres on TV and films but also the busy 'feel' I got every time I flew from Liverpool listening to ATC and the amount of traffic handled especially on busy days.

Then there was a visit organised to the tower by the flying school one day to see and speak to the air traffic controllers. ....

Bill B.

Hello,

Thank you for this, I think this is really what I am after. I have only visited control towers with 2 or 3 controllers. This is relaxed but professional. You can see that they communicate well, give the priority to the work, follow the method and the rules and that when something happens people focus, and divide the work to keep up with the obligations while dealing with the issue.
In a small control tower you do see and understand most of what is happening, a big control room would be impressing, but it is maybe more difficult to get the grasp when not used to.
Problem is that this take at least 20min in the control tower on a relatively busy day, how is it possible to show that in a video? I don't know...
By Bert Smallow
AlanM wrote:Here is a small (not professional) video made by the daughter of one of our controllers’ for her school project.

This does show quite a lot of what I am thinking about and is not too long. This may be the one.
By Bert Smallow
Fairflyer5 wrote:"The flying reporter" on youtube has a video where he goes inside the radar center for Farnborough, might be worth checking out?

Thank you, this one is good, It shows how the control helps and support the aircraft (without s)
AlanM, Fairflyer5 liked this