Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By chevvron
I'm tempted to suggest 'Pushing Tin' but that doesn't have any TWR/APP co-ordination. A better film for this would be 'Crisis in Mid Air' in which there is quite a bit.
Course if you want absolute non-fiction try 'Challenger 604' on Discovery. It shows a cockpit view of a flight by a Challenger bizjet, ending with vectoring into Farnborough then landing off a PAR.
A young lady called Sally did the vectoring and I did the talkdown, one of my 'specials' to touchdown; when I say 'radar touchdown NOW' you see a puff of smoke from his tyres as he touches down. I'd like to think it was my perfect talkdown but I suspect it was just editing.
Neither Sally nor myself were aware it was being filmed and in spite of it being shown hundreds of times, we've never got any royalties :twisted:
Last edited by chevvron on Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
By chevvron
CloudHound wrote:
You may find something in British Pathé archives. Might be b/w and Cholmondley-Warner but would still illustrate your point.

'Out of the Clouds' c1955?
By chevvron
PaulB wrote:
Robert Emms and Michelle Terry star in Adrian Penketh's new drama, set in the high-pressure world of air traffic control. What happens when the unthinkable happens

'High pressure'? Where do they get these ideas?
UK ATCOs (not just NATS) are so thoroughly trained and checked regularly for competency there is no such thing. (Apart from Heathrow final Director.) 8)
By joe-fbs
This is not exactly what the OP requested but is a master-class in calm under pressure, pilots and ATCOs, I use it in flight test training:

PS the plural of aircraft is aircraft.
ArchaicRider liked this
By Rob P
chevvron wrote:I'm tempted to suggest 'Pushing Tin' but that doesn't have any TWR/App etc...

But it does have Angelina Jolie and is currently free to view on Prime.

:) Rob P
By AlanM
chevvron wrote:...and checked regularly for competency there is no such thing....

Competence, dear chap ;-)
By ArchaicRider
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
joe-fbs wrote:This is not exactly what the OP requested but is a master-class in calm under pressure, pilots and ATCOs, I use it in flight test training:

Just watched / listened to that video and I'm in awe, truly. If only I could get staff in my area of work (healthcare) to act as calmly and professionally in situations nowhere near as serious. :salut:

AR
By Talkdownman
chevvron wrote:'High pressure'? Where do they get these ideas?
UK ATCOs (not just NATS) are so thoroughly trained and checked regularly for competency there is no such thing. (Apart from Heathrow final Director.)

Heathrow Final Director is a piece of P. Number One North is far more challenging.

But you've never done either, have you...
AlanM liked this
By Fairflyer5
"The flying reporter" on youtube has a video where he goes inside the radar center for Farnborough, might be worth checking out?
By Mike Tango
Talkdownman wrote:
UK ATCOs (not just NATS) are so thoroughly trained and checked regularly for competency there is no such thing. (Apart from Heathrow final Director.)

Heathrow Final Director is a piece of P. Number One North is far more challenging.

I dunno, FIN in a 70kt x-wind at 3,000ft with TEAM and Time Based Separation (first generation or enhanced) had its moments. Did you ever do it?
By GonzoEGLL
Mike Tango wrote:
Talkdownman wrote:

I dunno, FIN in a 70kt x-wind at 3,000ft with TEAM and Time Based Separation (first generation or enhanced) had its moments. Did you ever do it?

No, he was too busy training me by launching two BPKs wheels up and then **** the switch while saying ‘you’ve got it’..... :mrgreen:
By Josh
Mike Tango wrote:

If you think that’s bad, try landing it on 27R off the approach we’ve been so smartly vectored for :shock:

Friday was fun...
Mike Tango liked this