Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Harry Brown
Lefty wrote:I would suggest he touched down way too late and too fast. Given that a go around is not impossible after you turn final, his goose was cooked long before the video starts.

Probably a high hour pilot.
derekf liked this
By GolfHotel
Harry Brown wrote:
Lefty wrote:I would suggest he touched down way too late and too fast. Given that a go around is not impossible after you turn final, his goose was cooked long before the video starts.

Probably a high hour pilot.

Hate to disappoint you Harry old chap. But I had a "permission" for Courchevel when I had about 200Hrs total. Many moons ago now.

EDIT to add:
I was staying there with a 747 and a 777 captain one year. For some reason neither would come with me for a local joyeux. :D :D :D
Last edited by GolfHotel on Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iceman liked this
By GolfHotel
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
GolfHotel wrote:Hate to disappoint you Harry old chap. But I had a "permission" for Courchevel when I had about 200Hrs total. Many moons ago now.

If you didn't crash, it proves his point. :clown:

Excellent point! I shall endeavor to continue proving him right. Unless that will mean I have to start crashing now that I have a few more Hrs. :shock: :shock: :shock:
cockney steve liked this
By will c

From the video absolutely.
Chilli Monster wrote:Wouldn’t have happened with a PT-6 conversion :D :lol:
I've seen a PC12 after it had hit the end with no snow - there were three ATPLs on board.

It's down to the training and adhere to what was learnt - tail wind or not you would train to handle that and know when not to even attempt to go there.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have landed at most of the altiports in that area, including Courchevel, using and aircraft and instructor from Megève Flying Club. I have never formally qualified. Is it a 'mountain rating' that is required and if so, what are the currency requirements for the rating and what are the currency requirements for Courchevel itself if different to the rating ?

Iceman 8)
GeorgeJLA liked this
By Flintstone
According to these guys it's a two day course for Courchevel. Not sure if that is in addition to a Mountain rating.

http://www.aerosavoie.com/en/courchevel.html

Almost 20 years ago I worked for a fractional operator when the rumour went round that someone in management trying to make a name for themselves had seriously proposed that we consider flying Citations to Courchevel. :clown:
Last edited by Flintstone on Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeorgeJLA liked this
By GolfHotel
Iceman wrote:I have landed at most of the altiports in that area, including Courchevel, using and aircraft and instructor from Megève Flying Club. I have never formally qualified. Is it a 'mountain rating' that is required and if so, what are the currency requirements for the rating and what are the currency requirements for Courchevel itself if different to the rating ?

Iceman 8)

If you have a mountain rating you are free to land any time any aircraft.

You can get a "permission due place" (spelling may be doubtful) its valid as long as used within the last 6 months, or needs a re validation.

I did this many years ago so may be out of date with exact detail, but that's the gist of it.
By Lockhaven
Flintstone wrote:According to these guys it's a two day course for Courchevel. Not sure if that is in addition to a Mountain rating.

http://www.aerosavoie.com/en/courchevel.html

Almost 20 years ago I worked for a fractional operator when the rumour went round that someone in management trying to make a name for themselves had seriously proposed that we consider flying Citations to Courchevel. :clown:

Ah so this was you then :lol:

By Flintstone
No &%$£ing way!!

It'd be a hoot on private ops but the pressure of being commercial would be a pain. It was bad enough having Swiss bankers (real ones but also rhyming slang) giving me the benefit of their advice such as to descend through cloud in to a valley at Samedan.