Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
ROFL! I made it from a bit of ally U-channel bought from BandQ and some odd elastic and velcro from my "stash". Can't you tell from the wonky cuts on the ally?
Two mins with the sewing machine to attach the velcro to the elastic and use of a curved upholstery needle to attach the top elastic via holes driiled through the bottom edge of the u-channel. Bit basic but the top elastic is long enough to line the channel and protect the edges of my ipad and it also stops it sliding out when in use.
The metal cost £5.64 but there's enough left to do another few holders........
flybymike liked this
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyingfemme wrote:Image

I like something a little bigger than my iPhone and I prefer it to travel with me.........easy, cheap iPad holder that works with yoke or stick.

Hmmm: Shades of Dan Brown methinks FF:
Where's the ring of barbed wire? :lol:

Peter
By PeteSpencer
Where's the sudden obsession with 'not looking down' come from?

For years before GPS came along my charts and knee board sat comfortably on my , er, knee, even on RHS pax knee.....

Quite some knee level calculating using the occasional whizz wheel or ASA calculator took place quite safely:
No-one was clamouring for the half-mil to be strung up on suction cups all around the cabin.

Did GPS/yoke mounts/suction cups really suddenly stop us all banging into each other?

Peter
GrahamB, flybymike liked this
By Lefty
PeteSpencer wrote:Where's the sudden obsession with 'not looking down' come from?

For years before GPS came along my charts and knee board sat comfortably on my , er, knee, even on RHS pax knee.....

Quite some knee level calculating using the occasional whizz wheel or ASA calculator took place quite safely:
No-one was clamouring for the half-mil to be strung up on suction cups all around the cabin.

Did GPS/yoke mounts/suction cups really suddenly stop us all banging into each other?

Peter

Totally agree. I’ve flown for years with my iPad and chart on my knees without a problem.

However with the current fixation on EC, I see lots of people spending the majority of their time staring down at their tablet, trying to read and assimilate all the traffic info offered to them. This is where I think it is going wrong. Pilots should be looking out of the window!

If you are worried about mid air collision and want to use Traffic Awareness systems, then they should not cause you to spend most of your time staring at a tablet. To avoid this, any TAW system should:
(a) Filter out all non threats and only warn you of real threats.
(b) Have a clear and unambiguous audible warning - eg “Traffic 10 o’clock, same level - converging”
(c) if it has a visual display, this should be of the clock face type, which should be small enough to be mounted in, or very close to, the pilots line of sight whilst looking outside.

I think this is what has triggered the “demand” for ways to mount an iPhone close to the pilot’s line of sight. ( to be that small “eye looking ne” traffic display).
GrahamB liked this
By Jonzarno
I use these in both car and aircraft:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Magnetic-Dashboard-Vehicles-Tablets-Black-Phone-Mount/dp/B00T0I54Q8

You stick a thin metal plate (they supply several in the kit) to the back of the phone, or phone case, and glue the mount in place in the plane or car. The phone then attaches to and detaches from the magnetic mount very easily and reliably.
By GrahamB
You are absolutely right, Lefty.

Prior to traffic being displayed on the SD screen, like Pete I didn't see any great difference between having a chart plus kneeboard plus Pooley's/Jepp/AIS plates on my lap in various forms and guises. Plotting a fix on a chart from two VORs with chinagraph and protractor was not exactly easy without looking down quite a lot.

SD on an iPad, for me, offered a net reduction in head down time, not an increase. However, since the arrival of traffic display, I'd noticed my eyes being drawn more and more to the shiny thing on my lap - in fact I was flying with an instructor at the weekend who also commented on it.

My iPhone for traffic only is part of a multi-prong approach to reversing that trend, The other elements are patching the new SD traffic audio alerts through my headset, and giving myself a good metaphorical kick up the @rze when I find myself doing it.
By mmcp42
SD on iPad
either on pax knees, or on pax seat if unoccupied
(all the better if pax knees also worth a glance every few minutes!)
much like the chart used to be
By neilmurg
cecilthecat wrote:BTW every time I post I need to get the post approved ..., why is this ?
It's warning you that the posts your replying to have changed, or new posts have appeared. It's a cost of allowing posts to be editable. Also why some make edits transparent with
[edit]here's a post edit[/edit]
[edit2]or I'm wrong? (noticed Dave W reply is different)[/edit2]
By Dave W
@neilmurg, the forums don't work as you describe.

Unless something strange has happened (very rare, but for some reason it had in @cecilthecat's case), post approvals are only required if
  1. you are a new member of the forum - for the first 3 or 4 posts (this is allow the Mods to catch spammers, of which we get a lot), or;
  2. you have been put on Moderation for some reason.
neilmurg liked this