Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Thanks Ridders - I shall print that out and try it next time.

I have spoken to the maintenance people but will do so again. They (apparently) have no trouble. Their specific advice was:

1) Minimise any delay between priming and starting
2) Use both mags not one
3) Set the throttle to a tiny amount open rather than the 1/2" suggested in the manual as "this increases the venturi effect" - not sure that makes sense but I'll try anything!

But I didn't mean to hijack this thread. My point is more to comment on the very individual techniques each engine in the fleet seems to need to persuade it to start! And those techniques seem to be arrived at by lengthy trial and error rather than science, and then enshrined as magic incantations.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
matthew_w100 wrote:That's virtually alchemy! Did you forget to mention sacrificing a chicken?

matthew_w100 wrote:then enshrined as magic incantations.

matthew_w100 wrote:go for a walk for 15 minutes

Would suggest sacrificing a bacon sandwich instead of the chicken.
By Ridders
Today, Bob started third push, after a splutter and nearly start on second. 8)

If only one could get a bacon sarnie to sacrifice Paul - We ended up actually flying out of Redhill to get a cuppa tea and breakfast,as the queue and wait at the ever popular Pilots Hub was simply horrendous!
Sorry for dropping off for a while. Took out Tecnam 2002 with Rotax on and had no problem starting it whatsoever. But I like flying Jodel ...

Looking at the various responses, I am consoled by the fact that I am not the only with a problem. However, most of you guys have found a way to get her breathing.
Well, I have booked the plane in the next few days to try out a few tips suggested here.

I have seen almost everyone pumping the throttle when the engine coughs. They know however how to do it, no too fast not too slow. I too will get the trick someday :)
By bilko2
FWIW on my Robin Aiglon (180HP Lycoming O360)
Electric fuel pump on
Mags on both
8 Firm pumps on the throttle (no primer)
Throttle set for a bit more than idle
=> Usually starts first time

I tend to have the throttle open far enough so engine gets going through the initial rpm drop, if one has to pump the throttle it only sometime works.
matthew_w100 wrote:Are lycomings usually mounted the same way up - ie with the carb dangling underneath?

Yes, as far as I know all Lycomings are mounted the same way up in fixed wing aircraft (helicopters may differ). The sump is underneath the engine and the carb is bolted onto the sump. It is alleged that Lycomings are less susceptible to carb ice due to the warming affect of the oil in the sump on the carb.

I think that Continetals are always mounted the same way up as well.

Brooklands
Such a good weather over the continent, I had the Robin booked on Saturday after someone. I was happy that someone had it before and I won't have starting troubles. It turned out the guy got back early and the plane was outside for over two hours.
But I got the engine running on my first try.
Fuel pump on + Mags Both+ 9 times Throttle priming + Throttle a little less than idle position + starter --> voila

The pilot who flew it before is more experienced on this plane and he told me that he warmed up the engine (hot air blower) for nearly an hour in the morning and yet struggled to get it going. I have to see if I understand the trick when I am the first one to get her out.