Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
johnm wrote:
Crash one wrote:When I mentioned fly the route over Google maps I wasn’t meaning a simulated demo mode. I meant navigating , in the air borne aircraft, field by field, with Google map moving across the screen.

First I’m struggling to comprehend why anyone might want to do this. Secondly unless you have quick access to an aviation chart it’s probably illegal.

What nonsense!
I’m struggling to comprehend why it should be so bad to do it.
And how on earth can it be illegal.?
It’s not illegal to have no access to any chart, just “sufficient information to complete the flight”. If I rememberRight.
Crash one wrote:It’s not illegal to have no access to any chart, just “sufficient information to complete the flight”. If I rememberRight.

erm....

"current and suitable aeronautical charts for the route of the proposed flight and all routes along which it is reasonable to expect that the flight may be diverted;"
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Crash one wrote:
johnm wrote:
Crash one wrote:When I mentioned fly the route over Google maps I wasn’t meaning a simulated demo mode. I meant navigating , in the air borne aircraft, field by field, with Google map moving across the screen.

First I’m struggling to comprehend why anyone might want to do this. Secondly unless you have quick access to an aviation chart it’s probably illegal.

What nonsense!
I’m struggling to comprehend why it should be so bad to do it.
And how on earth can it be illegal.?
It’s not illegal to have no access to any chart, just “sufficient information to complete the flight”. If I rememberRight.

It ain't legal and it is not best practice, should it have been legal.

Why defend something indefensible? There is a problem with infringements, and certainly there have been umpteen pages on the hassle involved with infringements so why support something that is daft.

Should we not all try and promote excellence?
Something very similar is already available on a number of EFISs.

It's not beyond the wit of man to overlay aeronautical information onto a topographic map.

Some of us routinely use a range of resources to navigate, not just one screen.

Following the magenta line/GPS isn't particularly helpful for keeping a good lookout.
By PaulB
VRB_20kt wrote:Something very similar is already available on a number of EFISs.

It's not beyond the wit of man to overlay aeronautical information onto a topographic map.

Just been wondering what would happen if Google were to overlay aeronautical information of their maps, perhaps to compete with the usual suppliers? What would happen if they developed that and IFR plates?
As Open Flightmaps are not available for the UK a very helpful chap wrote a bit of software to stick together Open Streetmaps and convert them into a format that MGL EFISsssss can use (should they be EFII?). These are, of course, raster maps. Although I am yet to fly with them (hopefully very soon) I can superimpose all the aviation navdata on top of them, so can see all the airspace etc. I will have a separate iPad Mini with SkyDemon.

I would have thought if it's possible to do that with raster maps then a knowledgeable, clever person could do the same with Google Maps maps.

These are screen shots of the Google map on Runway HD with a route plotted and the somewhat abbreviated airspace superimposed.
I can in fact fly, following that magenta line in the same manner as as any other chart, CAA half mil or Ordnance Survey Landranger. If I need airspace information from CAA charts I can get it in a second or two.
As Boxkite says, I never said that I would not carry any other documents as required by law.
This has nothing to do with flight safety, navigational excellence, legalities, etc.
I find it both mind boggling and quite offensive that I seem to be considered some kind of irresponsible lunatic for even contemplating such things.
Leckers said:
Thanks StuB - my problem is that the text/overall display is so small on my smartphone screen, that even with a magnifying glass I am unable to actually read what the 'settings' page is offering! :(
Is there a way to 'reset' to factory default settings that might improve matters???

There's not currently a master reset button, there are ways of doing it but it may be simplest to uninstall and reinstall.
Alternatively, the very top item in the settings screen list is the magnification control for "buttons" - and as the items in the settings list are themselves buttons they are controlled by that one. So if you can manage to tap that one and increase it a bit, that should in turn then make the other settinsg buttons easier to access so you can experiment with each to get what suits you and your device best.

I've also sent you a PM with some advice.

VBR
Stu
An interesting development for those who like to translate IFR as I follow roads :D :D I was curious about the context and the desire but I see the logic now, not something I’d consider as I use aviation charts that are consistent across international boundaries and don’t take much note of ground features, but each to his own. :thumleft: :thumleft:
johnm wrote:An interesting development for those who like to translate IFR as I follow roads...

Or possibly @Crash one is not so nuts and the development is merely a natural progression whereby one can fly over a true representation of the picture below, rather than the poor representation of charts. Maybe with an open mind and a bit of getting used to we would all wonder why anyone would choose not to have an actual photograph of what we are flying and navigating over? :wink:

I'd like to give it a go. :thumright:
PaulB liked this