Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Tim Dawson wrote:Yes
No, and you can’t on any other product either as it requires an internet connection
No, why would you want an aircraft symbol displayed while you’re sitting at home planning?
Yes

Mods, could this be made a new thread please?

1 I’ve done it at 2000ft though not for long as the map was a bit dark.
2 A fuel diversion once due to wind just drag the track line sideways to where I wanted.
3 I don’t always plot a route before going for a round robin bimble, then change my mind mid flight and decide to go somewhere in particular.
4 as 3

Your answers to 3 and4 seem to contradict.
I’m not knocking SkyDemon I’m just trying to point out why I prefer HD.
2, 3 and 4 (in-flight ad hoc replanning) are all possible and trivial with both products.

Tim, I don't see an easy place to split the thread without losing content and meaning for one or both. Would prefer to leave as-is.
Dave W wrote:Tim, I don't see an easy place to split the thread without losing content and meaning for one or both.

Post #1745586 started an entirely new topic after nearly eleven months.
Crash one wrote:
leckers wrote:I've had a pretty good look at the various forum posts/correspondence regarding Sky Demon and (less on) Airbox HD, but not seen any late 2019 or 2020 comments, preferences, on any comparrison. I have allowed my sub to lapse to both owing to a 'medical' problem, but have just resolved that issue and was about to download the latest version of SD.
If anyone has recent experience of using either, or both, APPs, and would be happy to comment, could you please post your views on which you would recommend? For VFR/UK use, I cannot really see the requirement to purchase both? Thanks - Ian

I use Runway HD because it is not too “aviation specific”, also there is no “planning mode/go flying” button, it always presents your position and planning or modifying a route is done while airborne or not, as required while still displaying your current/moving position.
Planning and flying/navigating can be also be done over CAA charts, Google maps, Ordnance Survey maps etc depending on what charts you add to your list. And Airbox charts, which look similar to SD but a lot less information.
I haven’t tried SD for a couple of years so maybe SD has changed, but at that time it immediately switched to the “aviation” chart after planning when you pushed the “go flying” button.
Nothing to do with aviating but Runway HD could, if you are inclined, be zoomed in on Google maps to pinpoint your own front door and show you the way home from the pub in a white out blizzard!
In short. HD is easier to use for the quick 1–200 mile bimble from one grass field to another, other types of chart can be used and it is just a capable as SD with perhaps less added extras for the high flying “airways fraternity” (no disrespect intended).

Thanks for the above, 'Crash One' - very helpful. I've been using my Club's SD, and I would agree that there is almost too much info, and pretty difficult to use on even a 10" tablet. I've just been looking at Easy VFR 'options' as well - but that's impossible to use on a smartphone with my ancient eyes! I will have another look at HD - again, much appreciate your help.
Ian

(Incidentally, if this reply goes out on to the forum, I do appologise for adding my question to an old post, but I could not discover how one starts a new topic on this forum. I can usually navigate my way around websites, but I am probably missing the obvious!)
A friend of mine uses SD if we fly together I shall do some direct comparisons.
In the meantime I’m not too happy with the tone of some replies to my comments. It seems to be bad news to compare one with the other.
And then being accused of over reacting! To what? In what way?
Good day folks. Let’s leave it for a new thread later.
Edit.
Thanks Leckers.
It’s a bit like religion
,!
Last edited by Crash one on Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leckers, if you find any of the text on EasyVFR too small on your phone screen, you don't need to go to SpecSavers - just go to the Settings page and you will find you can adjust the font sizes and icon sizes, etc, of each element of the map to suit your taste and your eyesight.

HTH

Stu B
I think we have some language misunderstanding going on here.

1) when planning - you can select aerial photography mode and then “fly” your entire route to see what the terrain and / visual points look like.

2) when flying
- you can at any time either “rubber band” your route to route around a problem, or
- select a a new waypoint or airport t fly direct to OR,

When planning, you can enter your diversion Airport - then activate Divert to that airfield whenever you want to.

So I think that all your requirements are met.

NB, I’m available for SD coaching ...
Lefty wrote:1) when planning - you can select aerial photography mode and then “fly” your entire route to see what the terrain and / visual points look lik

Really? How?

I asked about that on the other thread. Unless Im missing something Tim himself said
I believe the fly through options are there on the PC version. For a route, try saving it as KML and I think the resulting file contains a fly through.

Ok, so not too complicated, but it certainly doesnt "fly through" by itself in GE like Skydeamon simulator mode traces the route over the map, you use GEs flight sim and have to manually follow the line on the map yourself as in MS flight sim etc. (Almost impossible without a joystick).

Dont get me wrong, I think SD is great, best thing since GPS, and I will for sure be renewing my subscription next week.

Regards, SD..

Edited 'cause I must've been high this morning...or hung over... :lol: :doh:
Last edited by skydriller on Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flybymike liked this
Stu B wrote:Leckers, if you find any of the text on EasyVFR too small on your phone screen, you don't need to go to SpecSavers - just go to the Settings page and you will find you can adjust the font sizes and icon sizes, etc, of each element of the map to suit your taste and your eyesight.

HTH

Stu B

Thanaks StuB - my problem is that the text/overall display is so small on my smartphone screen, that even witha magnifying glass I am unable to actually read what the 'settings' page is offering! :(
Is there a way to 'reset' to factory default settings that might improve matters???
When I mentioned fly the route over Google maps I wasn’t meaning a simulated demo mode. I meant navigating , in the air borne aircraft, field by field, with Google map moving across the screen.
By PaulB
Crash one wrote:When I mentioned fly the route over Google maps I wasn’t meaning a simulated demo mode. I meant navigating , in the air borne aircraft, field by field, with Google map moving across the screen.

You'd need a data connection for that - AIUI mobile transmitters are not designed to transmit upwards so that could be an issue... not sure why anyone would want to do it, but if it floats your particular boat.
leckers wrote:
Stu B wrote:Leckers, if you find any of the text on EasyVFR too small on your phone screen, you don't need to go to SpecSavers - just go to the Settings page and you will find you can adjust the font sizes and icon sizes, etc, of each element of the map to suit your taste and your eyesight.

HTH

Stu B

Thanaks StuB - my problem is that the text/overall display is so small on my smartphone screen, that even witha magnifying glass I am unable to actually read what the 'settings' page is offering! :(
Is there a way to 'reset' to factory default settings that might improve matters???

I’ve never tried anything smaller than a mini iPad, for that reason, eyesight!
Crash one wrote:When I mentioned fly the route over Google maps I wasn’t meaning a simulated demo mode. I meant navigating , in the air borne aircraft, field by field, with Google map moving across the screen.

First I’m struggling to comprehend why anyone might want to do this. Secondly unless you have quick access to an aviation chart it’s probably illegal.