Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Cub wrote:Perhaps you would share the performance figures for multilaterated 360radar data?

Yes we will be doing that imminently , we have already presented initial findings to EASA at the recent meeting, and this produced a very positive response, all credit to those involved in developing the technology and those volunteers providing flight recording data from their Pilotawares - a great community effort thus far :thumleft:
PaulB, neilmurg, kanga liked this
By leckers
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
I've had a pretty good look at the various forum posts/correspondence regarding Sky Demon and (less on) Airbox HD, but not seen any late 2019 or 2020 comments, preferences, on any comparrison. I have allowed my sub to lapse to both owing to a 'medical' problem, but have just resolved that issue and was about to download the latest version of SD.
If anyone has recent experience of using either, or both, APPs, and would be happy to comment, could you please post your views on which you would recommend? For VFR/UK use, I cannot really see the requirement to purchase both? Thanks - Ian
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Mike Charlie wrote:At this rate it will soon fly the flipping aircraft allowing one to sit in the back with a G&T admiring the uncluttered roads and evenly spaced driverless cars....!

If you hadn't mentioned "the back", (unless you have a Chipmunk), I would have recommended being an examiner
Dusty_B liked this
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
Airbox HD is based on the NATS chart, SkyDemon has more functionality.

If you do not intend to keep a paper chart on your lap, then chart familiarity will soon wear off and SkyDemon is the obvious choice. If you do, then direct cross-referring between tablet and paper has some advantages and it is a tougher choice.

p.s. there was no need to drag out a year old thread for this. A new post would have worked just as well.
Funny enough, I downloaded Sky Demon today to trial it. My iPad Mini is still in storage at the moment but I hope to break it free in a week. Meanwhile, early trials on an iPhone 8 look promising :D I also booted up Windows 10 in Bootcamp on my MacBook Pro (reminded myself how much I hate Windows) and loaded Sky Demon onto a 'PC'. Much more clunky than on the iThings but probably okay for planning and then Clouding onto the proper gear.

So far, so good :thumleft:

(Planned an 87 nm route, in a Eurofox, using today's winds :shock: . 3:26.....should probably get out the walking shoes and umbrella :D )
leckers wrote:I've had a pretty good look at the various forum posts/correspondence regarding Sky Demon and (less on) Airbox HD, but not seen any late 2019 or 2020 comments, preferences, on any comparrison. I have allowed my sub to lapse to both owing to a 'medical' problem, but have just resolved that issue and was about to download the latest version of SD.
If anyone has recent experience of using either, or both, APPs, and would be happy to comment, could you please post your views on which you would recommend? For VFR/UK use, I cannot really see the requirement to purchase both? Thanks - Ian

I use Runway HD because it is not too “aviation specific”, also there is no “planning mode/go flying” button, it always presents your position and planning or modifying a route is done while airborne or not, as required while still displaying your current/moving position.
Planning and flying/navigating can be also be done over CAA charts, Google maps, Ordnance Survey maps etc depending on what charts you add to your list. And Airbox charts, which look similar to SD but a lot less information.
I haven’t tried SD for a couple of years so maybe SD has changed, but at that time it immediately switched to the “aviation” chart after planning when you pushed the “go flying” button.
Nothing to do with aviating but Runway HD could, if you are inclined, be zoomed in on Google maps to pinpoint your own front door and show you the way home from the pub in a white out blizzard!
In short. HD is easier to use for the quick 1–200 mile bimble from one grass field to another, other types of chart can be used and it is just a capable as SD with perhaps less added extras for the high flying “airways fraternity” (no disrespect intended).
By Dave W
I don't recognise SkyDemon, or me, from that description.

Choosing between the two is personal preference; don't take others' opinion as to what each is like. Someone else's description might not be what you see.

Try both, then decide. They each have free trial periods.
FrankS liked this
Someone asked for someone else’s opinion/experience. I have given mine. What anyone wants to do with that opinion is their business.
Whether you recognise Skydemon from it is your business.
Neither of which is my business.
Pardon me for daring to have an opinion even though it was based on a year’s Skydemon sub and seven years of HD.
By Dave W
Well, fair enough. But the planning chart is exactly the same as the aviation chart in SD. There is no "switching" going on.

I don't recognise me because I am far from a member of the "high flying airways fraternity"! Yet I think I am a fairly typical SD user.
By stevelup
The charts on SD are identical whether you're in planning view or flying view. Also, it is - at its very roots - designed for VFR bimbling, not air gods in airways.

I suspect that is what Dave means when he says he doesn't recognise what you described as a trait of SD or himself.

But if we're awarding marks out of ten for over-reacting, have a ten from me ;)
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Can you plot a route on Google maps on Skydemon?
If you plot a route on Google maps can you then fly the route on Google maps?
When you are plotting a route on Skydemon is your aircraft icon displayed on the screen at the same time?
Can you plot a route whilst at the same time watch your aircraft changing position as you move? (navigating)

My apologies for mentioning “high flying”. It wasn’t meant to refer to sky gods, but to people using it for the more advanced functions.
As for “over reaction” I’m afraid you’ve lost me there Steve?
“Misunderstanding” I’ll go for!
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
Yes
No, and you can’t on any other product either as it requires an internet connection
No, why would you want an aircraft symbol displayed while you’re sitting at home planning?
Yes

Mods, could this be made a new thread please?