Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By chevvron
When I checked with the CAA in late 2001 to see when we would need to change Farnborough from runway 07/25 to runway 06/24, having calculated from variation and rate of change depicted on the latest charts that we would need to change in about June 2002 , I found out it doesn't actually work like that.
The CAA advised me that variation and its rate of change are calculated in advance for 4 year periods known as 'epochs' and our runway would need to change on or before March 2002, so I duly told the airport director asap as the runway was being re-surfaced and then got permission from our then aviation authority [MOD (DPA) ] to paint the new QDMs on the runway straight away rather than having to re-paint 6 months later.
Of course, this doesn't just apply to runways, it also means iap plates (including SID charts) must also be amended
By Iceman
I was trying to remember the last time that I actually used a magnetic compass in flight. I think that it was last year on an instrument renewal when demonstrating a timed turn, having simulated loss of the HSI.

Iceman 8)
By PeteSpencer
Iceman wrote:I was trying to remember the last time that I actually used a magnetic compass in flight. I think that it was last year on an instrument renewal when demonstrating a timed turn, having simulated loss of the HSI.

Iceman 8)

Me too: It's easy to get lazy especially if your DI is slaved to the Compass in the wing......

Let me down once when I flew a friend's Arrow without slaving : Got some very old-fashioned comments from E Mids ATC.....

Peter :roll:
Iceman, Pete L liked this
By Stu B
Awful Charlie said:
As the headline of that article is "Polar express: magnetic north pole moving 'pretty fast' towards Russia" - I'm surprised that there hasn't been a barrage of accusations yet that Russia is meddling with it :clown:

I can't imagine the Grauniad making an accusation like that (or even like any dyslexic anagram of anything like that :wink: )
But let's wait and see how the Telegraph reports it!