Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Be very careful if using only warm/hot water on a cold-soaked airframe, if it refreezes on the lifting or control surfaces, or in a nook/cranny, it might get interesting.

I believe I cautioned against this in my first post! And definitely do not use the water directly for this reason. Even large aircraft that have been properly deiced have to be aware of subsequent problems which is why they have holdover times.
Last edited by foxmoth on Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
By PeteSpencer
My abiding nightmare is taking off on a clear day through slush only to find at 4000ft at -4 degrees the slush has frozen the wheels into the wheel wells.

Peter
By Lockhaven
PeteSpencer wrote:My abiding nightmare is taking off on a clear day through slush only to find at 4000ft at -4 degrees the slush has frozen the wheels into the wheel wells.

Peter

There is a procedure for that :wink:
By Flintstone
foxmoth wrote:
Be very careful if using only warm/hot water on a cold-soaked airframe, if it refreezes on the lifting or control surfaces, or in a nook/cranny, it might get interesting.

I believe I cautioned against this in my first post!.

I thought your post was referring to the melted frost/ice, I was thinking more of people employing the more common technique of a bucketful. Both have the same potential but the latter is probably more likely. Has been known to freeze car doors (ask me how I know).

Anyway, those are my two posts for 2019, I'll be off. :cheese:
By AndyR
Lockhaven wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:My abiding nightmare is taking off on a clear day through slush only to find at 4000ft at -4 degrees the slush has frozen the wheels into the wheel wells.

Peter

There is a procedure for that :wink:

As I found out, the first time I took off from a slushy runway.... :oops:
By ChrisRowland
The process for determining that your wheels are frozen up with slush.

Is there something more sophisticated than landing and discovering that the wheels are locked?

My experience is tugging at Wycombe last winter and getting the wheels clogged with mud. Braking wasn't a problem, driving out of the mud was, but finding a way to clean the frozen mud out of the wheels with nothing but very cold water was a challenge.
By PeteSpencer
Lockhaven wrote:
ChrisRowland wrote:What is it?

What ?

Oh another bleedin’ comedian :roll:

Care to share the procedure you alluded to in response to my post with the rest of us ignorami ?

Peter
By foxmoth
If you operate a retractable I am surprised this was not part of your training, once airborne you cycle the gear at least three times which should dislodge any slush picked up on take off.
By Sir Morley Steven
We use killfrost after a rubber broom.
The fire crew have de-icer for non members of my club. I believe it is a fiver a pop so cheaper than two cans of Halfords de-icer.
But of course the best de-icer is the sun while you are having a latte.
By eltonioni
Nick wrote:Drink plenty of tea......

And the ladies?