Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By RichJordan
Hi,

I've just bought a new aircraft (CTSW). I'm the 3rd owner.

I've been passed a Kannad XS4 PLB, the previous owner had zero knowledge of it so it's just been stored with the aircraft paperwork.

Does anyone know anything about them?

I assume I need to register it to myself (or is it registered to the plane?)?

The battery replacement date is 06/2016. It looks like that'll cost £80. Is it even worth doing?

Thanks.
By PeterMa
You can call the registry guys ( who are very friendly every time I call them ) and they will tell you if its ever even been registered , then get that updated with your contact info ( no point calling the original owners wife if its activated) .

Battery replacement is one thing , but you can also get a full service where its gets activated and they check its working & transmitting properly. Kannad are Mcmurdo in a different brand and this is ( I think) the mcmurdo 210/210 series with a different badge .

There is a self test function that check battery and GPS fix , but I cant recall exactly what the light flashes tell you on the back of the test .

Personally I don't thin k you can over value a PLNB if you ever need it - if you ever do I would bet you wish you have 10 to set off just to be sure!
By PeterMa
Shoestring Flyer wrote:I used Sparesmarine to replace the battery in my KannadXS4PLB last year.
Service good..no problems. :D
https://sparesmarine.co.uk/kannad-xs-4- ... y-service/

I used the same chaps last year for my Mcmurdo - neded it for a trip and came back really quickly :) .
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
PeterMa wrote:Personally I don't think you can over value a PLNB if you ever need it - if you ever do I would bet you wish you have 10 to set off just to be sure!

Though I understand the sentiment and having a backup for anything is always a good idea, as someone who travels to work with one on a regular basis, the given wisdom is that setting off multiple PLBs in a confined space (ie a raft) can lead to interference and the advice is to turn them off if you have a working ELT with you.

As an aside, I have, however, no idea how this phenomenon works in the real world and I would be interested to hear how it happens.

Regards, SD..
By mpk
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
RichJordan wrote:Hi,

I've just bought a new aircraft (CTSW). I'm the 3rd owner.

I've been passed a Kannad XS4 PLB, the previous owner had zero knowledge of it so it's just been stored with the aircraft paperwork.

Does anyone know anything about them?

I assume I need to register it to myself (or is it registered to the plane?)?

The battery replacement date is 06/2016. It looks like that'll cost £80. Is it even worth doing?

Thanks.

Mine is exactly the same, says replace 2016. I just did the full test in an outside space inc. the battery. The battery test showed it 'as new' or whatever the level of test is called, excellent strength still. I intend doing nothing about replacing it for now.
By RichJordan
mpk wrote:Mine is exactly the same, says replace 2016. I just did the full test in an outside space inc. the battery. The battery test showed it 'as new' or whatever the level of test is called, excellent strength still. I intend doing nothing about replacing it for now.

I sent mine off for a new battery and a full test.

Figured I'd feel pretty silly if I ever needed it and it didn't work for the sake of £80.