Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By chevvron
#1670642
Exatco wrote:Solo 2 Aug 1957 T31 XE807 633VGS Cosford

Final 23 Mar 1996 Viking ZE504 retiring as CO 634 VGS St Athan

Hmm I'm probably wrong but weren't the 'XE' batch actually Mk 2s rebuilt with a Mk 3 wing?
User avatar
By Exatco
#1670828
chevvron wrote:
Exatco wrote:Solo 2 Aug 1957 T31 XE807 633VGS Cosford

Final 23 Mar 1996 Viking ZE504 retiring as CO 634 VGS St Athan

Hmm I'm probably wrong but weren't the 'XE' batch actually Mk 2s rebuilt with a Mk 3 wing?



I think you are thinking of the T8 Cadet Mk2s that were converted from Mk 1s by replacement of the parallel chord wing with the taper tip wing , but remaining single seaters .

The redundant T7 wings were used for T38 Grasshoppers .
By Lefty
#1670913
All this discussion about this mark, or that modification sail right over my head.

I was aged 14-16 and I was just grateful to be able to jump in to an aircraft and fly. I didn’t stop to ask what wings had been bolted onto which airframe - I just leapt in and flew - at every opportunity.
ChrisRowland, Nick, kanga liked this
User avatar
By foxmoth
#1670968
‘62 from Tangmere for me, used to stay in Thorney, happy memories of “riding the chute” at the end of the day, also one of the instructors driving down the runway with a loudspeaker under his bonnet and all sorts of sound effects - machine guns, elephants charging etc. etc.
By chevvron
#1670989
Lefty wrote:
I was aged 14-16 and I was just grateful to be able to jump in to an aircraft and fly.

Something which todays cadets don't do anywhere near enough of.
Where else could so many 16 year olds learn to fly a glider solo at no cost?
User avatar
By PaulSS
#1671024
RAF Upavon, Spring of 1982, aged 16. They had spare capacity so I was able to do my A&B certificates, which was nice :D

One lasting memory was trying to land during a rain shower with the water droplets stinging my face and me squinting a LOT. I bought some goggles after that :shock:
User avatar
By Ian Melville
#1671028
chevvron wrote:
Peter Gristwood wrote:Bovingdon June 1968 for me. Good memories

613 Halton did several detachments to Bovingdon before 617 moved in from Hendon; I flew the first ever launch from Bovingdon on 21 Jun 1965 in Mk3 WT 871. 8)


I flew WT871 at Gaydon 2nd July 77 and was my first solo on the 16th July :D
By chevvron
#1672235
Ian Melville wrote:
chevvron wrote:
Peter Gristwood wrote:Bovingdon June 1968 for me. Good memories

613 Halton did several detachments to Bovingdon before 617 moved in from Hendon; I flew the first ever launch from Bovingdon on 21 Jun 1965 in Mk3 WT 871. 8)


I flew WT871 at Gaydon 2nd July 77 and was my first solo on the 16th July :D

I hope you didn't try to shave the hair off the back of the sheep while you were flying at Gaydon. :twisted:
(NB I will elucidate depending on Ian's reply)
By chevvron
#1672582
Ian Melville wrote:Not that I am aware, and you will have to elucidate me as well. :D

Wasn't sure if you'd heard of it.
637 VGS moved to Little Rissington when they were chucked out of Gaydon. I was appointed admin officer on a course at Rissy in 1991 and one of the instructors told me about a 'sheepstrike' which had occured at Gaydon.
Apparently, a Mk3 had been coming in to land and passed very low over some grazing sheep. One of them was startled enough to leap up and hit the glider striking its head on the bracing wires between the wing struts with sufficient force to cleave away the top of its skull and dying.
I've since learnt that in fact the incident wasn't as bad as that, the sheep merely lost a patch of its fleece along its back and survived.
There was no damage to the glider. :twisted:
User avatar
By Ian Melville
#1672746
I don’t recall any sheep around. there was a lot of rubbish around and on my first solo had to hop over an empty drink can in the middle of the runway. Air Scouts(paracending) had half the runway and the ATC the other. Whole place was rundown.