Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PaulB
You see nothing from CAA Skywise for days, then three come along all at once

"We have published CAP1754 – General Aviation Strategy 2018-23 on our website. The updated 5-year General Aviation strategy compliments and supports both government and wider CAA strategy and is aimed at supporting and championing General Aviation in the UK."

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplic ... il&id=8986
Ridders liked this
By gaznav
It looks like the Electronic Conspicuity position has been clarified some more for GA:

A key example of this will be the adoption of Electronic Conspicuity devices. The CAA wishes to promote full Electronic Conspicuity in U.K. airspace in order to unlock safety benefits, save lives and enable future airspace design to accommodate better sharing and access among different users of airspace. This will include commercial, military, GA and future users such as UAVs and Spacecraft. As such, Electronic Conspicuity is a vital programme to aid the Government’s and CAA’s broader Airspace Modernisation Strategy.

Electronic conspicuity means the airspace user can ‘sense all others and be seen by all others’ by electronic or digital means. The CAA is not requiring a particular technology or supplier of technology. Although given global market, commercial and regulatory developments, we see ADS-B enabled and interoperable platforms as the most likely commonly adopted technology in the U.K. We do not rule out alternatives, but would expect them to be interoperable with ADS-B standards. The key point is that any technology used must be fully interoperable for the purpose of achieving the required outcome of ‘sense all others and be seen by all others’ by electronic or digital means.

We are not proposing an immediate general mandate to require all users to be fully electronically conspicuous. We will, however, use a rolling programme of highly focused mandates over the next few years to target particularly challenging volumes of airspace and choke points when making decisions on airspace change requests proposed by industry sponsors.

So to me I read ADS-B remains the favoured common standards and mandates are coming for certain types of airspace. However, that other standards are still encouraged below that common standard.

:thumleft:
Ridders liked this
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
gaznav wrote:So to me I read ADS-B remains the favoured common standards and mandates are coming for certain types of airspace. However, that other standards are still encouraged below that common standard.:

I dont think that is particularly clear to be honest. I read it as "Probably ADSB or something similar, but we will keep changing what we think as we go along"m so no real change... The real issue is whether or not the equipment to be used will need to be fully certified, as that by definition equals high cost.

Regards, SD..
By G-JWTP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
gaznav wrote:It looks like the Electronic Conspicuity position has been clarified some more for GA:

A key example of this will be the adoption of Electronic Conspicuity devices. The CAA wishes to promote full Electronic Conspicuity in U.K. airspace in order to unlock safety benefits, save lives and enable future airspace design to accommodate better sharing and access among different users of airspace. This will include commercial, military, GA and future users such as UAVs and Spacecraft. As such, Electronic Conspicuity is a vital programme to aid the Government’s and CAA’s broader Airspace Modernisation Strategy.

Electronic conspicuity means the airspace user can ‘sense all others and be seen by all others’ by electronic or digital means. The CAA is not requiring a particular technology or supplier of technology. Although given global market, commercial and regulatory developments, we see ADS-B enabled and interoperable platforms as the most likely commonly adopted technology in the U.K. We do not rule out alternatives, but would expect them to be interoperable with ADS-B standards. The key point is that any technology used must be fully interoperable for the purpose of achieving the required outcome of ‘sense all others and be seen by all others’ by electronic or digital means.

We are not proposing an immediate general mandate to require all users to be fully electronically conspicuous. We will, however, use a rolling programme of highly focused mandates over the next few years to target particularly challenging volumes of airspace and choke points when making decisions on airspace change requests proposed by industry sponsors.

So to me I read ADS-B remains the favoured common standards and mandates are coming for certain types of airspace. However, that other standards are still encouraged below that common standard.

:thumleft:

Pilot Aware !
Sky Echo ?

Let's start that all over again.

G-JWTP
By PaulSS
We do not rule out alternatives, but would expect them to be interoperable with ADS-B standards. The key point is that any technology used must be fully interoperable for the purpose of achieving the required outcome of ‘sense all others and be seen by all others’ by electronic or digital means.

SO, if it has to be 'interoperable' with ADS-B and has to sensed and seen by ADS-B (part of the 'others') then every bit of kit will have to have ADS-B OUT.

Also, since the bit of kit that is 'interoperable' with ADS-B will have to be 'seen by all others', surely that would mean the ADS-B OUT equipment must also have PAW OUT and Flarm OUT, so that it may be sensed by PAW and Flarm equipment (also part of the 'others').

It would certainly appear they want ADS-B In & Out but just don't have the balls to say it.
gaznav liked this