Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The problem is the inflation gas tanks.
EJ are OK with a life jacket https://www.easyjet.com/en/terms-and-co ... rous-goods
Small non flammable gas cylinders, containing carbon dioxide or other suitable gas in Division 2.2. Up two (2) small cylinders fitted into a life jacket, and up to two (2) spare cartridges per person, not more than four (4) cylinders up to 50 ml water capacity for other devices.

I suspect that the gas cylinder capacity of a life raft would be too big.
By PeteSpencer
ganzic wrote:Hi All, has anyone ever tried transporting a life raft and life jackets on board a commercial flight?

No but the first thing I do on boarding CAT is to feel under the seat to make sure some scrote hasn't nicked it.
There's a lot of Atlantic on the way to Madeira.

Peter
T67M liked this
By Lefty
We got quotes of approx £2K to ship our life raft to the USA when we went to collect a new aircraft (and fly it back to the UK) in July 2018. However the raft was a Winslow (quite large and heavy).

We opted to sell our existing one, and then buy a new one in the US.
By T67M
PeteSpencer wrote:[snip] the first thing I do on boarding CAT is to feel under the seat to make sure some scrote hasn't nicked it.

I'm so glad it's not just me! I did once find the pouch was empty, and on a separate flight my seat had the wrong safety card. On both occasions I had an empty seat near me with the correct equipment, so I elected not to inform the cabin crew until AFTER takeoff to avoid delaying the flight.
ianfallon liked this
By ianfallon
T67M wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:[snip] the first thing I do on boarding CAT is to feel under the seat to make sure some scrote hasn't nicked it.

I'm so glad it's not just me! I did once find the pouch was empty, and on a separate flight my seat had the wrong safety card. On both occasions I had an empty seat near me with the correct equipment, so I elected not to inform the cabin crew until AFTER takeoff to avoid delaying the flight.

Had exactly this happen !
ganzic wrote:Hi All, has anyone ever tried transporting a life raft and life jackets on board a commercial flight?

Yes, it caused a few questions solved by the fact that I had taken the precaution of emailing the airline and confirming that it was okay, and had a printout of the emails in my pocket.

G
Day job means I travel with liquid nitrogen on sheduled flights which can cause intrigue at security.

There is a document on IATA website and on the wall at most security checkpoints called Table 2.3.A Provisions for Dangerous Goods Carried by Passengers or Crew.

https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr ... N-2.3a.pdf

It states that with approval of operator the following can be carried in hand or hold baggage. Pilot does not need to be informed

Gas cartridges, small, non-flammable containing carbon dioxide or other suitable gas in Division 2.2. Up to two (2) small cartridges fitted into a self-inflating safety device such as a life jacket or vest. Not more than one (1) device per passenger and up to two (2) spare small cartridges per person, not more than
four (4) cartridges up to 50 mL water capacity for other devices (see 2.3.4.2).

The provisions of 2.3 and Table 2.3.A may be limited by State or operator variations. Passengers should check with their airline for the current provisions.

Sometimes it take some time, rarely more than an hour, to convince security to let permitted items through but a hard copy of that document often helps.
I'm about to enter some discussions with BA and YVR security after YVR security removed two spare argon filled bottles that come with our avalanche backpacks (after we'd checked them in and just prior to boarding) despite having enclosed a letter of approval from BA Security in the bags about the backpacks - we were told only one bottle per person and not in a position to argue at the time (would rather leave spare bottles but get avalanche packs with fitted bottles back)
Will update when we get a resolution...