Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Wild Bill Kelso
I am currently flying for a European cargo operator and my schedule would allow me to instruct, especially during weekends. And I have always been keen on becoming also an instructor.
Before obtaining this job I was offered a sponsored FI position in more than one organization with the prospect to get an IRI qualification within a year. Now I am in a different situation and I am willing to finance my training. My main goal is to instruct instrument flying and possibly in future multi-engine training (very expensive path, I know... ).
I am well aware of the higher experience requirements for standalone CRI and IRI and the missing privilege of teaching ab-initio.
It is not my intention to be very selective with instructing jobs available, I am just trying to better plot my way into the instructing world by self-financing the required training with some economic common sense by comparing privileges, prospects and opportunities. I would really appreciate some inputs from current part-time or full-time instructors (FI or CRI/IRI) and school owners.
By oldbiggincfi
Think long and hard about AB initio Twin Training.

It's a totally different kettle of fish without lots of instructor experience.

I wouldn't recommend a CRI teaching IR without considerable Twin instruction.