Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob P
Dave Phillips wrote: I don’t like calibrating EGBJ on a nice day when every man and his dog is pitching-up unannounced

So basically no safety case except when calibration is underway?

Could this not simply be a NOTAM that day?

Rob P
G-JWTP liked this
By Rob P
So why is it particularly hazardous in the UK having aircraft arrive at an airfield, when it seems perfectly safe elsewhere? This is what I find confusing.

Rob P
skydriller, Katamarino liked this
By kanga
Just for completeness, after arrival, no prior notice needed at JAM for use of the apron, during opening days/hours :)

[although, reasonably, on first contact with APP or TWR it is helpful to say that you'd like Twy R to the Museum after landing. I guess you could even mention this on the PPR call, to save RT time. It might also be an occasion to be told that the Twy/apron were too soft, although AFAIK this has never happened yet; and therefore for the Lovely People in Ops to have the minibus ready to drive you across for your Museum visit, which I assume they will still do .. ]

Edited to add: I do, of course, hope that the post-MP3 management will continue to include Twy R and the JAM apron in their mowing plans. I have heard nothing to suggest that they won't. MP3 was, of course, one of the important supporters and enablers of JAM, and a Trustee for a number of years after its opening :thumright: The grass apron of The Flying Shack off Twy F, and the helicopter training areas, also depend on the mowers, so I expect that all will still be well ]
Last edited by kanga on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flyin'Dutch', Nick liked this
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:So why is it particularly hazardous in the UK having aircraft arrive at an airfield....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

" I say Carstairs, lovely Aerodrome you have here, very ordered, very safe...would be absolute heaven if we could stop these blasted aeroplanes turning up and making everything look untidy..."

:roll:
By kanga
skydriller wrote:..

" I say Carstairs, lovely Aerodrome you have here, very ordered, very safe...would be absolute heaven if we could stop these blasted aeroplanes turning up and making everything look untidy..."

.. and operators may have the same attitude towards the SLF :) Of the airlines for/with which I worked, the only one where I did not hear 'this job would be much easier without the passengers' was the bush/ambulance one .. But there has long been an ambivalent attitude in British society towards 'customer service'. Without wishing to overdo this thread drift, I wonder if some catering establishments are going to find it difficult to maintain a welcoming and helpful ambience when non-UK waiting staff are in shorter supply :roll:
johnm liked this
By James Chan
What a shame and a few steps backwards.

It seems like nobody is able to run a public-use airport in the UK without PPR, except Southend.
Ian, we've had the PPR discussion a number of times on the forum over the years. :) Ultimately it polarises views and there is no clear solution. At Booker we used to accept PPR on the radio, other places insist on telephone calls and a few want a 'nice' web form submitted. I have no idea why EGBJ have changed their stance, not least because they still appear to be a Public Use aerodrome. Perhaps they are short of ATC staff to scrawl-out flight strips on the hoof, perhaps they have scared themselves with a surge of traffic. Regardless, isn't it just sensible to call ahead before the planned use of an aerodrome?

I suppose I just don't subscribe to the 'let's throw our hands in the air' outrage that permeates through when such changes occur.
kanga, Dominie, ChrisGazzard and 3 others liked this
By James Chan
Regardless, isn't it just sensible to call ahead before the planned use of an aerodrome?

If you did that in the USA, I presume they'd be most surprised that you even gave them a call!

Airport operators may have very valid reasons to manage the flow/amount of traffic at their airfields

So are these similar to slots? What's the role of organisations like ACL these days?
At the last Sywell big fly-in I remember having to fill my tail number out on the web.
Last edited by James Chan on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
Life in Britain is full of people who are full of reasons not to do things, instead of reasons to do things.

It's something our American cousins are much better at, on average.
skydriller, James Chan, Awful Charlie and 14 others liked this
By skydriller
kanga wrote:Without wishing to overdo this thread drift, I wonder if some catering establishments are going to find it difficult to maintain a welcoming and helpful ambience when non-UK waiting staff are in shorter supply :roll:

With respect, the above is not just a UK problem, it is also prevalent in France too.

They are different in their attitudes to General Aviation though, and the UK in comparison does absolutely make life hard in all things aviation for no apparent reason bar one thing - The GAR. Though arguably this is a Customs/immigration thing rather than strictly aviation.

Regards, SD..
By James Chan
and don’t have to extract over the RT alongside all the other guff and random stuff that people are blocking the freq with

One would hope no more guff than the casual radio at Van Nuys KVNY, perhaps the USA's most busiest GA field with dual runways, ATC, and (drum roll)... no PPR!
Fairflyer5 liked this
skydriller wrote:" I say Carstairs, lovely Aerodrome you have here, very ordered, very safe...would be absolute heaven if we could stop these blasted aeroplanes turning up and making everything look untidy..."

"I say Smitthers, cracking job you've done at this airfield - not an accident for 20 years now"
"Oh yes Sir Trumpington-Shaw - we're very proud of that. Not had an aircraft for 25 years"

The British do seem to have an almost exclusive monopoly of the PPR disease
skydriller liked this
By Dave Phillips
Awful Charlie wrote:
The British do seem to have an almost exclusive monopoly of the PPR disease

Many of the places I fly insist on PPR along with GENDEC (basically a GAR) and a FPL (hand-written, of course). PPR is most certainly not just a British peculiarity. :)