Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
That’s correct. In BEA and BA, they flew with two first officers who rotated leg and leg about between the panel and right seat.
Last edited by Human Factor on Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Dave W
I remember* Flight reporting, back in the early 80s, that when Air France introduced their first 2 crew cockpit aircraft the FEs' Union was sufficiently powerful that some types were fitted with a third seat behind the interseat console.

The FE's feet had nowhere to go, so stirrups were fitted on the inboard uprights of the Captain's and First Officer's seats. Not surprisngly, the FE could reach very little and didn't really have a role to fulfil even if they could - so that didn't last long.

*I am pretty sure this was a serious news story, not a piece in the Roger Bacon column!
By kanga
Oldfart wrote:
kanga

I never had the pleasure of the “Ground Gripper” , the VC10 was more to my liking!
My ex Trident mates tell me there were no Flight Engineers in BEA , it was crewed by three pilots, one of whom sat at the System’s Panel.

At Channel we definitely had separate cadres of pilots and FEs on our Tridents, neither being qualified in the other role. I'm guessing (only) that it may be that BEA started in the early Tridents with FEs, which they needed on the Comet 4Bs (which we also had at Channel), but as they retired they were replaced with cross-trained FOs.

In the same context, I heard that the Trident 1s were sprightly performers, at least at altitude, but by the time the same fuselage had been stretched to the 3B length it definitely needed the 4th, booster, engine for takeoff and initial climb.
By kanga
Dave W wrote:I remember* Flight reporting, back in the early 80s, that when Air France introduced their first 2 crew cockpit aircraft the FEs' Union was sufficiently powerful that some types were fitted with a third seat behind the interseat console.

*I am pretty sure this was a serious news story, not a piece in the Roger Bacon column!

I can remember that story in Flight. It might have been for the Mercure, which AF did not use for long. They were palmed off to Aeropostale, IIRC
By Cowshed
Oldfart wrote:My ex Trident mates tell me there were no Flight Engineers in BEA , it was crewed by three pilots, one of whom sat at the System’s Panel.

My dad flew as a co-pilot on Trident 1Es for BKS in the late 60s. I understand they had a proper flight engineer, as later he had a brief spell with Cyprus Airways who used the BEA model with pilots in the 3rd seat – my father hated it. [As an aside the Trident still resting at Nicosia airport is in his logbook].
kanga, Flyin'Dutch' liked this