Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Jonzarno
If you run your engine lean of peak, you produce little or no CO.

Google Savvy lean of peak to find links to videos and articles giving details.

That said, I’d encourage everyone to carry an electronic CO monitor.
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
G-JWTP wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote: Even a couple of weeks immersed in seawater won't do it..... :roll:

Doesn't a decompression chamber work ?
G-JWTP

My medical knowledge is zero, so please forgive me...
Why would immersing a body in sea water for a couple of weeks change the CO level in its blood? Or is that a reference to the fact that the victims were immersed in sea water for a few weeks and the CO levels were still there? :scratch:
Why would a decompression chamber have any impact?
By Jonzarno
Morten wrote:
G-JWTP wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote: Even a couple of weeks immersed in seawater won't do it..... :roll:

G-JWTP

As far as I know, it wouldn’t. A decompression chamber is used to extract nitrogen dissolved in the blood as opposed to CO which binds chemically to haemoglobin to form carboxyhaemoglobin.
By G-JWTP
A hyperbaric chamber to give it, it's technical name.

Uses increased pressure on the body whilst breathing oxygen to displace the CO attached to haemaglobin.

I think the science is unproven though.

G-JWTP
By PeteSpencer
Morten wrote:
G-JWTP wrote:

G-JWTP

My medical knowledge is zero, so please forgive me...
Why would immersing a body in sea water for a couple of weeks change the CO level in its blood? Or is that a reference to the fact that the victims were immersed in sea water for a few weeks and the CO levels were still there? :scratch:

No, yes and no.

Hyperbaric oxygen helps
By Sooty25
Oxygen therapy whilst blown down to pressure in a decomp chamber is one of the treatments for more extreme CO poisoning. Gets high concentration of oxygen into the bloodstream quicker.
By Rob L
FlarePath wrote:You dont really need anything fancy like detectors, reducing power, turning of heaters etc just carry a bit of rubber hose in your bag and stick it out the window if needed and breath through that simples... :D

Really? :?: Are you serious?

If not, don't jest in a serious thread please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Flying_john wrote:Serious question - would one of these Oxygen concentrators work in this situation .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustable-1-5L-min-Full-Intelligent-Oxygen-Concentrator-Generator-Low-Noise-UK/323839937279?hash=item4b665d4aff:g:Wi4AAOSw83Nc-H2S

Might be an alternative to carrying bottled oxygen ?

For?
By Flyin'Dutch'
Cheers!

There's currently not enough evidence about the long-term effectiveness of HBOT for treating severe cases of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Standard oxygen therapy is usually the recommended treatment option.

1. That is talking about long term effectiveness not acute CO-poisoning
2. HBOT is not routinely available - hence SOT being given most of the time.
G-JWTP liked this
By gasman
Thread drift:

I transferred a ventilated CO poisoned patient to the police diving hyperbaric chamber at Preston police HQ for HBOT.
I left the power leads for the four syringe pumps keeping the patient stable/anaesthetised behind at base in error :oops:

Learning points :
1: electric kettle power leads fit syringe pumps
2: police HQs have plenty of kettles :lol:

The patient made a full recovery :thumleft:
Flyin'Dutch', Hooligan, Pete L and 6 others liked this