Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If the pilot was IFR capable why end up all the way North of Alderney in an IFR pressurised, deiced single at low altitude (subject to technical issues) that isn't on any airway or routing towards Cardiff ?

Depends which type of PA46 it was. The Matrix model is piston, not pressurised, with optional de ice only.
By patowalker
patowalker wrote:
Según trascendió, la avioneta en la que se trasladaba Sala pertenece al presidente de Cardiff, su nuevo club. Memet Dalhman maneja el club desde 2014. Es un banquero nacido en Chipre que vivió casi toda su vida en Londres, donde estudió.

According to some reports, the aircraft belonged to the Cardiff City chairman.

The initial report came from Sala's mother. It would not be surprising if Emiliano thought the aircraft belonged to the person who arranged the flight, so that he could pick up his belongings and say farewell to his Nantes teammates.
By akg1486
plus7g wrote:Sorry akg1468 what is the similarity ?

(Sorry for the snip, but it was getting long )

The similarity is arranging transport to a time and place (important match in Brazil; first practice with media coverage in this case) that is very important with a mode of transport ill suited for precisely that. And, possibly, with a client that can't correctly assess the risks
By Dave W
Everyone: I closed this thread for a short while to remove references to a pilot who appears not to have been on board and to have been incorrectly named elsewhere (perhaps also by some French authority sources).

Naturally this will be distressing for many people, so I would ask that we wait a while for a further official announcement naming those on board.

As an aside, some people posted comments in this thread along the lines:
Please delete the incorrect posts.

That's fine, but by far a quicker means of getting the Mods' attention - as one person did, so thank you - is to use the "Report Post" facility that you can find under the cog icon at the top right of each post. Thanks very much.

I have also split off one post quoting well-placed sources suggesting the accident cause was known. This places the Mods in a tricky position - we do not know what credence may be placed on such sources, or how informed they actually are. The possibility of an incorrect statement being made is sufficient for us to ask you please to not do that. Once again, thanks very much.
irishc180, Korenwolf, Ben K and 6 others liked this
By eltonioni
@Dave W well put. Devastating as it is for those close to the accident we're now in learning mode and there have been some respectfully thoughtful, informative and educational posts so far. Fly high.
Dave W liked this
By tomshep
Piston aircraft as has been suggested which goes some way towards explaining why it wasn't flying higher. No reports of
PLB/ EPIRB signals which doesn't bode well. The type (PA-46-310P)has been known to have engine reliability problems.
Very sad for all involved.
By defcribed
tomshep wrote:Piston aircraft as has been suggested which goes some way towards explaining why it wasn't flying higher. No reports of
PLB/ EPIRB signals which doesn't bode well. The type (PA-46-310P)has been known to have engine reliability problems.
Very sad for all involved.

That type is still capable of 20,000ft upwards and to be honest that is where it 'should' be flying - especially across the English Channel in poor weather at night in the middle of winter.

5,000ft through the CICZ is indicative of a VFR flightplan. If they'd been on a EuroControl IFR flightplan then they'd have been up in the flight levels. For some reason they didn't file IFR. Could have been because of something to do with the aeroplane, the pilot, paperwork, trouble getting the route done, anything at all..... or perhaps it just wasn't felt necessary for a little hop at short notice.

I can't see much reason other than weather to then request a descent to 2,300ft while over the sea.
AlanM, Lockhaven liked this
By KeithM
Having read through all the posts thus far, I’m sure that the BBC reported, a few hours after the incident, that the aircraft was a “Piper Malibu turboprop”.
By Lockhaven
plus7g wrote:
Lockhaven wrote:
AlanM wrote:
What????????

Have a look at a chart as the pontificating continues!

Looking at the chart for a simple IFR flight Nantes - Cardiff would probably have resulted in a departure towards REN to join A25 - SKESO - N862 - BHD - N864 - EXMOR.

If the pilot was IFR capable why end up all the way North of Alderney in an IFR pressurised, deiced single at low altitude (subject to technical issues) that isn't on any airway or routing towards Cardiff ?

Why should he go in the airway ? Direct with an appropriate radar service - used to do it all the time - why bother to go so high on such a short leg , he might not have been above any bad weather if he did climb to his limit. A decision many single crew / light aircraft commercial guys have to make.....

I am not disputing wether he should or shouldn't fly in an airway, but if at departure he had filed an IFR flight plan then you file a routing to start with not just direct, there after direct routings would/could be offered by ATC.

I suspect a VFR FPL was filed hence why a reasonably good performing aircraft capable of 20000 feet plus was flying around at night, over water, low level in the weather.
By AlanM
I hear what you are saying - but bizarrely on that route an IFR plan would take you pretty much direct.

I have to say though, I am amazed almost daily at the number of aircraft that opt to stay low (ie below 2000ft) when higher is offered in that airspace. (Not that I am saying that the altitude was necessarily a factor here)
Flyin'Dutch', Lockhaven, 2Donkeys and 2 others liked this
By Josh
The Times covers a similar angle - sounded much more like the previous sector was pretty bumpy and the passenger was nervous about a repeat. Someone used to high end sports cars probably would think any GA single looked like it was about to fall apart.

All sorts of leaks about what was said on the radio &c but very little hard info. Is it AAIB or BEA who are going to be investigating?
By Flyin'Dutch'
Waveflyer wrote:BBC TV News this morning - passenger sent a What’s app saying he was really scared and he was on an aircraft that looks like it was going to fall apart.

A pure speculation at this point, taking what we know thus far, would be icing.

Competence and ability of pilot and aeroplane nothwithstanding, the only thing that helps is getting into warmer air, in good time.