Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
kanga wrote:I think the slogan of Aerotiques - MP3's new sideline - must be "please don't forget to lower your gear; but if you do, don't block our runway, and please let us have your propeller blades" :)

Funny you should say that. He's had most of my engine and the extremely bent prop. I'm still holding out for a TB20 cake stand :lol:.

Iceman 8)
kanga liked this
By Chris Martyr
plus7g wrote:I would be really surprised at that given the enormity of the task , the cost and the associated increased fuel burn......

Don't worry plus7g , it was only tongue in cheek . :D

True , you will never see HF aerials on B747 wingtips again . But removing winglets isn't the enormous task that it would at first appear .

The B744 can fly quite legally with either one , or both winglets removed . [ It's in the MEL/CDL]
You are of course correct in that there is indeed a performance penalty involved.

As for the 'blue rinse' toilets ,,,[yuck] Let's just confine nostalgia to the paint jobs , OK.... :lol:
By Human Factor
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Chris Martyr wrote:The B744 can fly quite legally with either one , or both winglets removed . [ It's in the MEL/CDL]
You are of course correct in that there is indeed a performance penalty involved.

Or sometimes not. On the standard -400, there is a penalty. On the 747-400SR (Japanese domestic services), they came out of the factory without them.
By PaulSS
The B744 can fly quite legally with either one , or both winglets removed . [ It's in the MEL/CDL]

Can it have both removed? It's a genuine question because my saddo spotter brain seems to recall that one is okay (with a penalty) but you couldn't remove both, for some bizarre reason. I really hope I'm wrong and, therefore, not as sad as I think I might be :D
By Chris Martyr
PaulSS wrote:Can it have both removed?

Paul , you are not a "saddo spotter" at all mate . In fact , I stand corrected coz you're spot-on . :D

Just checked our co. MEL/CDL , Ch. 57-28-01 and it is indeed only one winglet it can fly without .

We'd better stop now , otherwise the others will be calling us both saddo spotters ... :lol:
By PaulSS
Just checked our co. MEL/CDL , Ch. 57-28-01 and it is indeed only one winglet it can fly without .

NOOOooooo

That means Skydriller (and me) are right and I am truly a saddo spotter :( :( :oops: :oops: :( :(

Why do I remember absolute trivia like that, when I haven't flown the thing in over 10 years and yet I can't recall what I had for breakfast.....or anything that my wife tells me to do?

I'll get my anorak and notebook and take off with my tartan flask of tea :cry: :cry:
By mmcp42
Chris Martyr wrote:
PaulSS wrote:Can it have both removed?

Paul , you are not a "saddo spotter" at all mate . In fact , I stand corrected coz you're spot-on . :D

We'd better stop now , otherwise the others will be calling us both saddo spotters ... :lol:

but why not?
skydriller wrote:@PaulSS , @Chris Martyr : You are hereby nominated as this week's sad spotters... :mrgreen:

How can we be top of the forums Saddo League ? When neither Paul , myself nor SD have even mentioned Brexit [yet] during this thread .... :lol:

I'm sure there must be at least a few more nominee's . Keep it up and perhaps we can expect some nice pop-up ads from bivouac and anorak manufacturers to appear :wink: ..
kanga, skydriller liked this
By condor17
Was BEA , not BOAC ; but think the BOAC livery [ not colour scheme ] was the best ...... Mind you I'm hoping they'll bring back the 'gurls summer uniform ... Pale Blue , or Pink mini dress with a 'looong zip down the front . It eventually migrated to Short Haul for a short time .

Heaven .

PaulSS wrote:
The hodge podge of awful tails we used to fly were embarrassing ......................Completely agree and they were completely useless ...
Milan crew change . Italian driver ..
'' Ee no heer yit '' ... We wait , then asked to be driven round the ramp ....
Us '' There it is '' .
Ital. '' Ee no BA '' !

Warsaw , sitting in the pier . '' Damn thing's not in yet '' looking at 'wot we thought was an Indian job .
Bit later ... '' just maybe that is ours '' .......... Explain that reason for late departure !

Leaving Denver 2 nights ago saw an American A320 in full last TWA livery . V. Smart it looked .

Paul SS , I must be just an old spotter , not yet sad . 'Cos couldn't remember the need for at least one winglet .
It was lucky that on a walk around , that I noticed one winglet was missing . Can we go like this ? MEL says ok ; but ask for an engineer .... Reluctantly one came out to explain that speedtaping over the gaps and open parts was Not needed. '' Mmm '' we thought , but he was correct , nothing further broke off.

rgds condor .