Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My boy when he was in the RAF was held with 100 sqdn at Leeming and was seconded to the Reds for their posting to Cyprus for pre-season training.

He backseated all the way out, was treated like one of the team and shared hotels on the way out (Nice and Italy somewhere IIRC).

Because he was trying for a branch change to pilot (he was Nav) they let him hand fly all the way there and back.

He spent a very pleasant 3 months in Cyprus : his job was to brief joy-riding dignitaries on safety stuff/ejection procedures among other things: he got numerous back seats in the training sorties.

I cant exactly remember the year (late 90s ) but it was the year the Blue Peter girlie was there (nudge nudge wink wink)

Sadly his taste for stick waggling but his inability to get a Branch change despite glowing support from the Reds team among others, led to his deciding to come out. :(

Peter
Colonel Panic liked this
By Bobcro
I heard and briefly saw my first display by the Thunderbirds back in 1963 at an invitation only show at RAF Lakenheath. That was the time when the were flying F100 Super Sabre aircraft and their routine concentrated on maximum performance take offs and low screaming fly pasts. They appeared, did their bit and disappeared over the horizon for some minutes only to return and do the same thing but from the other direction. Not very exciting.

The RAF pilot in his Lightening kept his display both always in sight and sound of the crowd who were mightily impressed but being in uniform reluctant to be too over enthusiastic in public.

I had recently sold the Tiger Moth G-AMES, a Rollason rebuild with less than 600 HR to Lt William Douglass who flew F100s as a day job and the Tiger at weekends.
By Iron Chicken
kanga wrote:[Having said that, my Air Cadet unit also did a 'silent drill' routine for every Annual Inspection. Inspecting Officers seemed to like it .. :) .

Hi Kanga,
which ATC squadron was that? IIRC the 'continuity drill' was rare, we may have been in the same mob. Mine was 1227

IC
By Human Factor
Iron Chicken wrote:
kanga wrote:[Having said that, my Air Cadet unit also did a 'silent drill' routine for every Annual Inspection. Inspecting Officers seemed to like it .. :) .

Hi Kanga,
which ATC squadron was that? IIRC the 'continuity drill' was rare, we may have been in the same mob. Mine was 1227

IC

We did the same, including hurling 303s at each other. 204.
By PeteSpencer
Just watched this week's episode on catch-up dealing with the death of one of the Circus mechanics at Valley.

Brings home the risks associated with ageing aircraft,though investigation is ongoing.

I thought it dealt with the sad event in a compassionate and respectful way, with a brief pause then 'on with the job'

Peter
mick w, kanga, Charles Hunt and 1 others liked this
By PeterMa
Also watching last night and felt it shows the risk associated with even flying in these type of jets is very high - and that's before you start formation aeros 6ft from your mates .

I 'think' the risks are such that you are more likely to die in a training accident than anything else in these machines ?