Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By uAvionix-Ramsey
In August of 2017, uAvionix and SkyDemon came together to launch a trial weather flight information service broadcast (FIS-B) in the UK. What was originally intended to be a six-month trial with one ground station grew into the current network of seven ground stations running now for eighteen months.

In order to either continue or expand the trial service, we need to collect some data on its usage, and the experience you've had (or not had) with the service.

We have created a short - 5 minute survey and we would love your input. Whether you have our products or others, and whether you've experienced the in-flight weather or not - please take just 5 minutes to complete the survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/UATINTHEUK

Thank you.
gaznav, Katamarino, 2Donkeys and 2 others liked this
By Katamarino
For geographical reasons I haven't yet had the chance to use this, but I'm very excited to try it out when I bring the C182 over in May. Just had a GTX-345 fitted, so it will be good to see how it works! I think this is one of the best initiatives for GA I've seen in the 13+ years I've been flying.
Flyin'Dutch', Peter Mundy, gaznav and 2 others liked this
By neilmurg
I did the survey, and I think it would have got bumps anyway..
How many surveys Ramsey? I'm flying tomorrow, so can give you some better feedback after that
By Awful Charlie
I'd like to be adding some feedback, but haven't made a trip to Blighty for a while - although I expect to rectify that in early Feb. Two questions:
a) Is there a planned date when the trial will be ending and/or transmissions just cease?
b) Can the existing transmissions be received/processed with a US-spec receiver(I'm on the N-reg) outputting GDL90 (to SkyDemon in my case)
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@Awful Charlie I am on the N Reg with a Garmin GTX345R receiving UAT. That bit works fine. In my case, it is output to GTN750 and Garmin Pilot (via Bluetooth) on an iPad. All without issue.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
IIRC there's a little green dot that appears on the "Weather" tab on the right of the SD display.

Edit: Yes - like this:

It'd be great to know how the Regulator thinks this trial is going, and whether it could soon be officially rolled out.
By neilmurg
I was aloft around Basingstoke/Reading today with SD running and the capability to receive weather (PAw, 2 SDR setup, GDL90 protocol). Apart from noticing the green dot on the weather tab (I didn't, too busy/not good enough), is there another way to confirm whether I was receiving weather? In the SD track log maybe?