Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By UpThere
I experienced vertigo once while doing some practice turns on my own. All was well, until my first at 45 degrees, when the extra G-force made me dizzy. To recover, I concentrated on the AI to get the wings level, then engaged the autopilot to give myself time to recover, landing as soon as I felt up to it.

The cause turned out to be detritus floating in one of my inner ears (BPPV) which was treated with the Epley maneuver.
By matthew_w100
OK - I'm going to be more definite. Can someone explain why having had a migraine, on the ground, which was perfectly easily coped with, I was grounded for six months and now can't have a Class 1 medical and have had to rethink my retirement plan to be a FI, whereas someone who was clutching at the walls to get across a room will have a quick chat with an AME and be flying in a few days? The (apparent) inconsistency is giving me a headache...
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
matthew_w100 wrote:OK - I'm going to be more definite. Can someone explain why having had a migraine, on the ground, which was perfectly easily coped with, I was grounded for six months and now can't have a Class 1 medical and have had to rethink my retirement plan to be a FI, whereas someone who was clutching at the walls to get across a room will have a quick chat with an AME and be flying in a few days? The (apparent) inconsistency is giving me a headache...

I don't think its the headache per se that can be the problem but the rapid onset of sometimes severe visual impairment of the scotoma accompanying or more often preceding the migraine which can last for a long time (60 minutes is not uncommon).

This partial blindness , which if at the area the visual cortex receiving from the macula temporarily effectively renders the patient blind, could spoil your day if it occurred at any time in flight, say on an instrument approach.

Even the commoner hemianopia renders half of the visual field temporarily 'blind'.

The cause of the scotoma ( which can have flashing edges -fortification spectra) can be constriction or spasm of the blood supply to the optical cortex, which on wearing off causes the characteristic throbbing headache as blood flow resumes.

Frank'll be along in a minute to give chapter and verse.

Peter
By Flyin'Dutch'
matthew_w100 wrote:OK - I'm going to be more definite. Can someone explain why having had a migraine, on the ground, which was perfectly easily coped with, I was grounded for six months and now can't have a Class 1 medical and have had to rethink my retirement plan to be a FI, whereas someone who was clutching at the walls to get across a room will have a quick chat with an AME and be flying in a few days? The (apparent) inconsistency is giving me a headache...

1. You can be an FI with a Class 2 so not sure why you have to rethink your plans;
2. flying in a few days - says who?

Don't confuse what some people write on here with medical or aero-medical advice.
scd975 liked this
By jaycee58

Don't give up! I had my class 2 withdrawn due to spinal stenosis (I have almost no symptoms which makes it even more frustrating) and my first thought was to give up my retirement plan to be an FI but decided pretty quickly that this wasn't really wan't an option. 5 CPL exams done, 8 to go and no idea when or if I'll get a class 2 back but I'm just carrying on regardless.
By matthew_w100
PeteSpencer wrote:I don't think its the headache per se that can be the problem but the rapid onset of sometimes severe visual impairment of the scotoma accompanying or more often preceding the migraine which can last for a long time (60 minutes is not uncommon).

This partial blindness , which if at the area the visual cortex receiving from the macula temporarily effectively renders the patient blind, could spoil your day if it occurred at any time in flight, say on an instrument approach.

Even the commoner hemianopia renders half of the visual field temporarily 'blind'.

The cause of the scotoma ( which can have flashing edges -fortification spectra) can be constriction or spasm of the blood supply to the optical cortex, which on wearing off causes the characteristic throbbing headache as blood flow resumes.

I had what looked like the after image of looking at a light, with shimmery edges, which expanded across my visual field over about 20mins. I could see through it and was was quite capable of driving/flying. I wouldn't have WANTED to, but i could have. And indeed I have a friend who has identical though more frequent symptoms who HAS continued to fly (self-dec medical) - he just potters about a bit till it clears and then lands. But because I had visual disturbance, I go down the "serious" path of the protocol.

Labyrinthitis is MUCH more debilitating!

Anyway I thought you needed a Class 1 for a CPL/FI and I didn't think schools would actually pay a PPL/FI. I spent half an hour last night wrangling the CAA website looking for the requirements for an FI rating, both CPL and PPL. I failed - which may be a deliberate barrier to entry? :-) - can anyone point me in the right direction?
By PeteSpencer
matthew_w100 wrote:I had what looked like the after image of looking at a light, with shimmery edges, which expanded across my visual field over about 20mins. I could see through it and was was quite capable of driving/flying. I wouldn't have WANTED to, but i could have. But because I had visual disturbance, I go down the "serious" path of the protocol.

You've described the typical 'scintillation scotoma' or 'fortification spectra' which precede in most cases a migraine attack : yours don't sound too severe if you reckon you can see well enough to drive or fly.

I had a colleague years ago (not a pilot) who lost over half his field of vision with each attack. When driving he had sufficient warning to pull over and park up for an hour till his vision came back to normal, then limped home with worsening headache and filled himself up with powerful anti migraine drugs.

I guess the CAA's take would be in the above situation if he had been a pilot there might not have been opportunity safely to 'pull over' with worsening visual acuity.

But then what do I know?

Peter :roll:
By QSD
matthew_w100 wrote:FD - I know. But will anyone PAY you?

Yes! Many PPL schools are short of instructors and will bite the hand off anyone with a PPL + FI + CPL TK.

You would actually be very welcome without the CPL TK, but it does restrict you to teaching for the LAPL only.
scd975 liked this
By matthew_w100
PeteSpencer wrote:I guess the CAA's take would be in the above situation if he had been a pilot there might not have been opportunity safely to 'pull over' with worsening visual acuity.

But then what do I know?

I'm not (now :D ) trying to argue that the CAA shouldn't take a dim view of migraine. Just wondering why they don't take an equally formal dim view of labyrinthitis.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Acceptability of conditions is based on (level of incapacitation)x(risk of occurrence)

That is why some conditions - such as epilepsy are a no-no; an epileptic event is 100% incapacitating
By Paul_Sengupta
When I've had room spinning/nausea it's been because of an episode of food poisoning...had it once when working in Turkey...spent two days in bed, only getting up to go to the loo...
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By akg1486
Paul_Sengupta wrote:When I've had room spinning/nausea it's been because of an episode of food poisoning...had it once when working in Turkey...spent two days in bed, only getting up to go to the loo...

I had the exact same experience, but after eating a Big Mac in Newbury in 2005. Haven't been to the golden arches since... :pale:
By Shoestring Flyer
Paul_Sengupta wrote:When I've had room spinning/nausea it's been because of an episode of food poisoning...had it once when working in Turkey...spent two days in bed, only getting up to go to the loo...

Must be something about Turkey. I had an identical experience whilst working in Izmir in 2000!