Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The aircraft engineer on board, who had an intimate knowledge of that particular airframe, may have known a little more about what that light indicated than the experts on here.

The radio was working perfectly when they contacted San Sebastian, and there was no mention of equipment failure.
By patowalker
pplmeir wrote:
patowalker wrote:. when they contacted San Sebastian, and there was no mention of equipment failure.

Do you have a source for that please.

Yes. I have heard the recording.
By Flying_john
Rob - I think the picture shows the Alternator warning lamp on and no current being produced/used from the alternator. However the lo voltage warning is not on and as far as anyone knows when the lo votage warning came on this may well have drawn their attention to a no charge fault that they corrected by resetting the generator on/off switch.

As I remember Dave was a stickler for knowing how much time he would have with no alternator just from the capacity of the battery - he tested me on it once !

I hope our own AAIB are involved with the Spanish authorities in the investigation so that we may one day all learn something for this tragic occurance.

Still cant believe he has gone.
By Rob L
Thanks John, that sort of makes sense to me. But why does @velostar post it twice? Without explanation? :?: It appears to be a snip from Dave Phillips' post on page two of this thread....

In any case, I hope the CIAIAC (and if needs be the AAIB) achieve a conclusion as to the cause.

I have flown VFR in my Taylorcraft several times in that area, albeit in good VMC conditions; last time was 2005, from Pamplona...not quite en route to this accident flight, but close enough. It's quite a descent from the region of the accident to the runway...I seem to recall about 4000 feet in about 12 miles or so. The turbulence (in <5 kt windspeed) was more than I liked.
By velostar
Rob, it shows both the ALT warning light and the low voltage gauge which someone asked about. The first snip I posted didn’t include the low voltage gauge that’s why there are two snips.
By patowalker
patowalker wrote:The aircraft engineer on board, who had an intimate knowledge of that particular airframe, may have known a little more about what that light indicated than the experts on here.

The radio was working perfectly when they contacted San Sebastian, and there was no mention of equipment failure.

Apologies, especially to pplmeir. The recording I heard was not with San Sebastian, in spite of El Diario Vasco stating it was. I should have listened to it again before posting, but have only done so now, as it required a subscription.

I stand by the first paragraph of my post.
Last edited by patowalker on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
By patowalker
PeteSpencer wrote:
[quote= pplmeir]
Do you have a source for that please.

patowalker wrote:Yes. I have heard the recording.

How so?

C'mon, spill....

Peter

I heard a calm exchange with ATC on my phone and must have wanted it to be as described in the headline. Unsurprisingly, I am not the only Deanlader who is sensitive about this accident and some of the comments on here.
By Peter Geldard
Can confirm that the Garmin was a 430W and that therefore it had Terrain Awareness.
Its data card has been updated only 1 week before.
Because I am sure that the two well qualified pilots would not ignore any Terrain Warning, one must continue to speculate as to whether the Garmin was active or not. They are notoriously sensitive to voltage drop.
If, as some seem to suggest, the Alternator was not charging properly, and/or they were running on battery power, the Garmin might have been one of the first instruments to fail.
By Chris Martyr
May I just make an appeal to the finer sensitivities of the chaps on here who appear to be attempting to second-guess the accident investigators .
patowalker wrote: I am not the only Deanlader who is sensitive about this accident and some of the comments on here.

Neither am I ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but this could include David's widow , Tanya !
By PeteSpencer
You're all committing the same mistake that the smug warn against after every disaster: speculating from a position of factual weakness and risking distressing those close to the victims.

It's at this point that I would normally suggest putting a/ this thread to bed until after the AAIB report but last time I suggested locking a thread I got a moderator b*llocking for deigning to suppress free speech.

So I won't make the suggestion, just think it to myself.

Peter
Nick, Kemble Pitts, 2Donkeys liked this
By Flying_john
Don't lock it please since it is a good medium to advise people of arrangements should they wish to pay their respects in the fullness of time.
By PeteSpencer
Flying_john wrote:Don't lock it please since it is a good medium to advise people of arrangements should they wish to pay their respects in the fullness of time.

Oh come on, that can form a separate thread when the arrangements are known.

Peter