Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
#1664872
Chevvron has it right The general public know no better and care even less. We do but it doesn't matter. White, jet - airliner.
Warplane- anything in camouflage.
Old warplane - Tiger Moth.
Vintage - Pitts.
Helicopter - any.
They get the general idea and move on to something else more important (Gerbil predicts Strictly runner -up.)
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
#1664928
tomshep wrote:Chevvron has it right The general public know no better and care even less. We do but it doesn't matter. White, jet - airliner.
Warplane- anything in camouflage.
Old warplane - Tiger Moth.
Vintage - Pitts.
Helicopter - any.
They get the general idea and move on to something else more important (Gerbil predicts Strictly runner -up.)

Yeah and it doesn't matter what type of helicopter they show, it always sounds like a Bell 47.
#1664935
I’ve had it on a transit of Stansted. I fly an AC11 and it seems no one there seems to know what that is. I’ve been given clearance limits which would require a hover to comply and been identified as traffic to an airliner as an EC11 Helicopter. Once they asked me, what is an AC 11 and I said a “Rockwell Commander”, then they asked, “What is that, a single engine or something”?
Southampton once asked an Air France 146 to hold for a PA28 crossing right to left as they were vacating the runway. They were talking about my AC11. The AF pilot called back, “Do you mean the AC11”? The controller sounded confused and came back with “Hold for the aircraft on your right” I’m getting the impression that all low wing singles are PA 28’s.
Iceman liked this
#1664949
TLRippon wrote:I’m getting the impression that all low wing singles are PA 28’s.


Aren't they?

High wing SEP/SET = Cessna
Low wing SEP/SET = Piper
Any Helicopter = Helicopter
Any MEP/MET = small or light aircraft
Small JET = business jet
Large JET = airliner
#1664968
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
TLRippon wrote:I’m getting the impression that all low wing singles are PA 28’s.


Aren't they?

High wing SEP/SET = Cessna
Low wing SEP/SET = Piper
Any Helicopter = Helicopter
Any MEP/MET = small or light aircraft
Small JET = business jet
Large JET = airliner


Or perhaps ..

Any helicopter or autogyro .. helicopter
Any biplane .. Tiger Moth (probably a Pitts)
Any small jet .. once Learjet, now Gulfstream (probably a Citation)
Any large jet .. Boeing (probably an Airbus)
Any really large widebody .. Jumbo (probably an A380)
Nick, Flyin'Dutch' liked this