Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Well I had lunch in the wardrobe and asked Sub Lt ATC. Explanation:
"Neither of you had rotors"
(Ps: At least I think they called the wardrobe)
Last edited by Irv Lee on Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyin'Dutch', Dave W liked this
By Iceman
Tiger, Tornado, yeah, sounds similar :D.

Military controllers aren't always familiar with civil types. I had a friend who a few years ago was travelling north through Surrey in a hot air balloon. They were talking to Odiham and about to request an ATZ transit. The young female controller came back with "Can you hold please, we have a Chinook on the instrument approach" :lol:.

Iceman 8)
The nice chaps at Lakenheath contacted by a GA bimbler for a MATZ penetration

"Say again type of aircraft?"

"Auster"

I'm sorry, say again aircraft type?"

"Auster"

"Roger G-XX, MATZ penetration approved, remain clear of the ATZ"

~ pause ~

"G-AA traffic information. There is a helicopter in your 9 o'clock ..........."

Rob P
zain_robson liked this
By Irv Lee
cotterpot wrote:
Irv Lee wrote:Well I had lunch in the wardrobe "

Had you been or were you both frightened by/of something? :D

wardroom, wardrobe... both words ... "similar type" rule applies
kanga liked this
By cockney steve
^^^^^^^^ you sure they don't keep their heads in the toilet? :D

As to the Wardrobe,...... Following a long seafaring tradition, perhaps the occupants haven't come out of the closet, yet. :twisted: (I think we've all heard of Roger the cabin-boy.) :wink:
Iceman wrote:Tiger, Tornado, yeah, sounds similar :D.

Military controllers aren't always familiar with civil types. I had a friend who a few years ago was travelling north through Surrey in a hot air balloon. They were talking to Odiham and about to request an ATZ transit. The young female controller came back with "Can you hold please, we have a Chinook on the instrument approach" :lol:.

Iceman 8)

When I first started in ATC, the military wouldn't tell you what 'make' of aircraft they were flying eg when asked they could answer 'military twin piston' or 'military 4 turboprop' instead of 'Varsity' or Argosy'.
If fact I can remember one old 'D' man (well known to talkdownman too) who would refuse airways crossing clearance if they didn't tell him what type of aircraft they were; it was necessary because the 'Minicap' computer needed the type entered in order to work out its speed of crossing.
Then there was the time one of my colleagues at Farnborough asked a helicopter following the railway line north of Farnborough to hold due to an aircraft carrying out an SRA to runway 18; the helicopter pilot replied 'I am flying a helicopter you know, I can't just stop'!