Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By T67M
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Lateral CG is much less of an issue in a FW than in a helicopter, and isn't declared as a hard limit.

There's rarely a lateral CofG chart, but there is sometimes a restriction in the POH to the effect "this aircraft must only be flown solo from the left seat".
By Charles Hunt
flybymike wrote:I couldn’t even find the airport I had just taken off from (Leeds) on my second solo circuit! (ATC gave me an orbit on the downwind leg which got me completely disorientated and sent me off cross country...,)

I seem to recall that happened to Biggles too, but he turned out alright in the end.
flybymike liked this
By Waveflyer
Story probably from decades ago.
Flying in a biplane with the instructor I think in the front seat, the instructor, when he thought the student was ready to solo, pulled his stick from the floor socket, showed it the the student and throws it overboard.
The students became wise to this and a forewarned student pulls out a concealed spare stick, taps the instructor on the shoulder, gives a big thumbs up and makes sure the instructor sees the second stick going overboard :shock:
Rob L, flybymike, johnm and 2 others liked this
By Rob L
Maxthelion wrote:Bah, you haven't lived until you've tried to reach the heel brakes in a Luscombe from the right hand seat.

:D

I quite often fly my Taylorcraft from the RHS (solo) on tarmac and there are no RHS brakes (admittedly with the wind generally down the slot). The only grass you need is for taxying, especially around 90* corners like what we have on our taxiways.. Brakes? You don't need no darn brakes!
By Genghis the Engineer
T67M wrote:
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Lateral CG is much less of an issue in a FW than in a helicopter, and isn't declared as a hard limit.

There's rarely a lateral CofG chart, but there is sometimes a restriction in the POH to the effect "this aircraft must only be flown solo from the left seat".

That may often be down to an asymmetry in the cockpit layout.

G
By riverrock
PA28 fuel cock on the side wall near the left seat occupant's left foot for example? Impossible to reach from the right seat. I'm sure there are many similar examples.
By neil9327
Rob P wrote:.. Glancing back over his shoulder he was fortunate enough to see the student climbing into the RH seat where he apparently believed the P1 always sat.

Rob P

You haven't said what happened next?
By FlightDek
riverrock wrote:PA28 fuel cock on the side wall near the left seat occupant's left foot for example? Impossible to reach from the right seat. I'm sure there are many similar examples.

Always wondered about this. I remember when preparing for my skills test and reading the standards doc. It stated all controls must be able to be operated from either seat. Does this mean that, technically, a PA28 shouldn't be used for a test? :scratch:
By PeteSpencer
riverrock wrote:PA28 fuel cock on the side wall near the left seat occupant's left foot for example? Impossible to reach from the right seat. I'm sure there are many similar examples.

Bollox Of course it can

Peter
By Rob P
neil9327 wrote:
You haven't said what happened next?

The instructor returned to the aircraft and suggested a second change of seats.

Rob P
By vw-dan
flybymike wrote:I couldn’t even find the airport I had just taken off from (Leeds) on my second solo circuit! (ATC gave me an orbit on the downwind leg which got me completely disorientated and sent me off cross country...,)

When I went solo my club had a policy of sending you up with the CFI prior - I'd had some really good circuit training and due to bad wx, was more than ready I just needed the right day.

So off I go with the CFI for the first ever time and for some unknown even to me reason I was happily half way through Downwind when I look down and my brain misreads the triangle and decides in stead of being downwind for the - bit of the A, that I've actually gone wrong and I should re-orientate for the \. I even declared "Oh, I've cocked this up" before I tried to re-align for the now-wrong runway.

The CFI to his upmost credit allowed me to do that all the way until short Final when things like the DI, Compass and big white runway numbers got in the way and I had to admit it had all gone wrong. How he had the balls to still send me solo I'll never know
By Rob P
Genghis the Engineer wrote: Anybody can perform well when it's all going right!

Easy to see you've never flown with me.

8)

Rob P
derekf liked this