Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By johnm
I routinely plan on desktop PC and save to cloud (now automatic). I then load the plan onto an ipad mini to go flying. It will run happily on my iPhone 4 as well if need be but the screen is too small for that to be of much use to be honest.
By GrahamB
One point about the restriction on the number of mobile devices (or at least on iDevices, which is all I use).

If you have two devices logged in and active, then log in on a third, one of the previously logged in ones will get logged out. Providing you do not physically log the device out manually, it will continue to allow the application to function, albeit with no ability to access any data or functionality requiring an internet connection. You can get rid of the annoying messages by manually putting it into offline mode, but that does not stop it being usable as a standby navigation device or, if an iPhone, as a traffic radar display as noted above.

The caveat is the above becomes invalid if for any reason the app gets terminated in the device, e.g by manually logging it out, terminating it or restarting your device.
By VRB_20kt
It's simple. Just a UserID and password. But you need to have a network connection.

If you're logged in and the network drops, Skydemon continues to operate normally.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk
By Paul_Sengupta
Lerk wrote:I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that the limit on number of mobile devices was being relaxed. IIRC this was around the use of the traffic radar as a separate display.

I don't think so, I think it was a request from me (and others) that the limit be relaxed to allow the SD traffic radar to be run on another device, but so far Tim's made it clear that he has no plans to change the limit.
Lerk, gaznav liked this
By PeteSpencer
Balliol wrote:How much of a faff is logging in and out please?

It's a faff in my case as my iThingys are permanently logged in often for many months/years and I've usually forgotten which email address and password I've used.

I then have in the case of my iPhone to 'reset password' which then spills over onto the other three devices: This is a pain.

As I have only one computer, I forgo one 'link up' permanentlly which is a shame and IMHO should be worked-around.

Maybe I'll contact Tim.

Peter
By Rob P
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
I don't think so, I think it was a request from me (and others) that the limit be relaxed to allow the SD traffic radar to be run on another device, but so far Tim's made it clear that he has no plans to change the limit.

If by SD Traffic Radar you mean PAW, doesn't the stand-alone radar display run direct from the PAW, not involving SkyDemon at all? :scratch:

Rob P
By Paul_Sengupta
Rob P wrote:If by SD Traffic Radar you mean PAW, doesn't the stand-alone radar display run direct from the PAW, not involving SkyDemon at all? :scratch:

Not everyone uses the PilotAware Rob, I'm led to believe there are at least two people using the Sky Echo! ;-) And probably a couple more with a Stratux...
ivor.phillips, T67M, gaznav liked this
By jacekowski
The limit is 2 pcs and 2 mobile devices ( https://www.skydemon.aero/store/ ).
Oldest device will not have access to updated data (it will not stop working, you will be unable to update charts and get new notams, weather etc. until you log out and back in again).

I personally find this restriction really annoying as I use skydemon on up to 5 different pcs (at different times, my desktop, my laptop, my backup laptop, work pc, club pc) and 2 mobile devices (tablet as primary device and phone as a backup).
By Peter Gristwood
I personally find this restriction really annoying as I use skydemon on up to 5 different pcs (at different times, my desktop, my laptop, my backup laptop, work pc, club pc) and 2 mobile devices (tablet as primary device and phone as a backup).

Think of this from SDs point of view. They have staff and need cashflow to keep the system working and to fund developments, all this for a one-off payment. They aren't a charity funded by the CAA.

If they were to increase the number of simultaneous users, I could let friends have a couple of my unused allocations for free. No, I'm happy to have it limited or, if I wanted multiple versions, to pay extra.
Waveflyer, XX, PaulB and 4 others liked this
By PaulB
Absolutely..... I have three mobile devices every time I fly..... I only use 2 because of the limitation. If I was really concerned, I guess I could use AirSpace Aware (is that what the free one is called?) In practice, I guess that I'd never use it.
By PeteSpencer
Peter Gristwood wrote:Think of this from SDs point of view. They have staff and need cashflow to keep the system working and to fund developments, all this for a one-off payment. They aren't a charity funded by the CAA.

If they were to increase the number of simultaneous users, I could let friends have a couple of my unused allocations for free. No, I'm happy to have it limited or, if I wanted multiple versions, to pay extra.

While I can see SD's point of view in not wanting SD shared out to multiple people on one subscription, I also have a point of view in that I am unable to take up my four (2 x iThingy, 2 x PC) fully paid up iterations because I only have one PC and three iThingies.

And to pre-empt the inevitable Forum smart-ar se answer 'get another PC', that is not a solution.

Peter :wink:
By Miscellaneous
Peter Gristwood wrote:If they were to increase the number of simultaneous users, I could let friends have a couple of my unused allocations for free. No, I'm happy to have it limited or, if I wanted multiple versions, to pay extra.

Surely it would be easy enough to permit 4 (or more) devices to be used simultaneously providing they were all on the same route?

Be a bit limiting for your mates if saving on an SD subscription meant they could only follow you around the sky. :D