Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Have searched the SD website but none the wiser.

If a passenger is in the rear seat following progress with SD on my iPad, and I’m up front using it (same SD account) on my iPhone, will this work?
By PeteSpencer
Yes.

If you try and log in with a third iThingy it drops one of the others, I believe the one that logged in the longest time ago.

I have found this when I use my iPad mini for nav, and have the iPad on RHS pax lap for same reason as you , then it dumps my iPhone SD and I have to scrabble about remembering my password from several years ago before I can use iPhone SD again.

I'd personally be happier for a bit of flexibility for three iThings and one computer , as I only have one computer ( a laptop) , so one of my legal logins is always wasted.

Peter
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Dave W
Here's the SD website page that confirms all this.

SkyDemon wrote:This subscription is for your own personal use (you must not allow others to use it) and can be used on up to two PCs and two mobile devices (iOS or Android).
flybymike liked this
By PaulB
PeteSpencer wrote:I'd personally be happier for a bit of flexibility for three iThings and one computer , as I only have one computer ( a laptop) , so one of my legal logins is always wasted

Me too.... I always have 2 x iPads and a phone with me and rarely if ever use SD on a computer.
karlbown liked this
By flybymike
I’m not a techno-geek (or indeed any sort of geek) but how do they know whether the four devices are desktops, laptops or mobiles?
Is this detectable from the IP address?
Come to that, while I’m thinking about it, do several devices all operating through a single Wi-fi all have the same address, or are they individually identified?
By GrahamB
flybymike wrote:I’m not a techno-geek (or indeed any sort of geek) but how do they know whether the four devices are desktops, laptops or mobiles?

When you log on to SD, you are validating your account with the SD back-end servers. It’s trivial for the log on request to notify the version of SD, and the back-end to keep count.
By Lerk
I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that the limit on number of mobile devices was being relaxed. IIRC this was around the use of the traffic radar as a separate display.

I have two phones and an iPad logged in (although I’ve never tried to log in simultaneously) and one pc which I installed and then have never used.
By Balliol
I am just thinking of swapping to SD and find the two mobile thing odd / a pain as well - I don’t own a desktop, and would rather have home ipad, flying iPad mini and phone back up signed in. :( surely a licence should just be number of installations what’s the logic in restricting type of device?
rogerb, ivor.phillips liked this
By matthew_w100
I had a discussion with their service desk on this subject a couple of months ago, when I realised they'd dropped the licences from three to two each of mobile and desk top devices. They don't mind how many devices you install and use it on - it's only CONCURRENT operation which is restricted. Apparently not all their customers are as honest as forumites and have been known to share one account between multiple users. Can you believe it?

I asked if I could give them more money to be allowed to run more devices (on the same account (you can always have more than one account) but they said there was no mechanism to do that. I guess the only thing remaining is to ask for a less fiddly way of logging a new device on, to make it easier to bring a backup device online in the cockpit.
By rikur_
I understand the issue they're trying to mitigate - but I've also come across the scenario where passengers want to follow the flight.
Probably too complex to implement - but perhaps some ability to override the 'two devices' restriction if the other logged in devices are within bluetooth range or similar.