Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PaulB
Longfinal wrote:Didn't or don't the medical profession experience this problem with people closing ranks and being unwilling to call out reckless or negligent behaviour. After numerous scandals, rightly, it is being stamped out there. Why should we be any different?

I would suggest that the issues in the medical (or other healthcare) professions are not comparable. Just Google whistleblowing in the NHS and you'll see why.
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
“Snitchlines” are a symptom of our times.

Whether it be reporting teachers, tax dodgers, benefit cheats, or low flyers, this behaviour is no longer held in the contempt it did when I were a lad.
By PaulB
flybymike wrote:“Snitchlines” are a symptom of our times.

Whether it be reporting teachers, tax dodgers, benefit cheats, or low flyers, this behaviour is no longer held in the contempt it did when I were a lad.

Why should it be held in contempt? That said, I'm not too sure whether you're saying that "snitchlines" are a good or a bad thing?
By patowalker

Boys only sneaked once at my school. :twisted:
By lobstaboy
patowalker wrote:

Boys only sneaked once at my school. :twisted:

Indeed I think some of what we are seeing on this thread is a sort of vague, vestigial culture of not "dobbing in" the other fellow. English boarding schools fostered this, and it worked pretty well in the forces too last century (for ORs as well as the ex-public schools' boys). See "The Go Between" by L P Hartley for a good description and pretty well any memoir by a leading public figure of the last 50 years.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Longfinal wrote:Didn't or don't the medical profession experience this problem with people closing ranks and being unwilling to call out reckless or negligent behaviour. After numerous scandals, rightly, it is being stamped out there. Why should we be any different?

Also, seems a bit selfish to say call it out if it affects me or mine but not if it endangers others.

Whilst that might have been a problem it is not something that is still happening for some time now the GMC's regulations have made it clear that someone being aware of a colleagues poor functioning and not reporting this to the relevant agency is culpable just as the poor functioning colleague.

In relation to low flying I always remind myself how difficult it is to determine what height someone is flying at; especially when they are some distance away.

Whether someone is doing something dangerous, reckless or negligent is not always immediately apparent and to hold one's counsel until enough facts are available* is usually a good strategy.

*E.g. an AAIB report.
By lobstaboy
I suppose the CAA could equip teams of suitable volunteers to monitor low flying and to report it. A bit like a Community Speedwatch of the skies!

(I just looked up what powers Community Speedwatch have - not much, but more than I thought!)
By flybymike
PaulB wrote:

Why should it be held in contempt? That said, I'm not too sure whether you're saying that "snitchlines" are a good or a bad thing?

I’m just saying that “telling tales” was generally frowned on in my youth.
I make no comment on whether the current trend is a good or a bad thing, especially on a pious virtue signalling forum like this one.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man

It's been going on throughout history, so unless you were a lad a very very very long time ago…

Ian
By Jim Jones
The key to defeating illegality is that it is reported and the offender identified by those who know them..

In schools the concept of ‘grassing is bad’, allows bullies to flourish. In some communities misplaced loyalty, coupled with fear, allows gangs to flourish.
By Jim Jones
Dave W wrote:An observation: The concept of "I'm reporting you" can frequently be bullying behaviour, too.

"The process is the punishment", and all that.

The process needs to be fair and open, but it can’t start until there is a person identified as a suspect, then it needs to proceed without unreasonable delay.

There are examples where justice is delayed, therefore denied. Naming rape suspects is one such.
By Dave W
Jim Jones wrote:The process needs to be fair and open, but it can’t start until there is a person identified as a suspect, then it needs to proceed without unreasonable delay.

In an ideal world, bullies would not falsely accuse people who then become suspects.

Yet, they do. And there's enough history that reveals a culture of 'dobbing people in' for any transgression often leads also to that bullying behaviour.

We've seen it here, for example.