Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Can someone please tell me why the received wisdom is the following can't be done legally:

I have a Trig TT31, a GNS430 WAAS and an EASA aircraft.

I want an avionics shop to use some sort of wiring magic to connect the two together so the transponder emits an ADSB signal.

Why not?
Because not enough people respond to EASA consultations, like this one on CS-STAN. You have 3 days left. CS-SC005a and CS-SC006a are relevant.

But hang on, isn't there an STC that allows it? The AML document also lists the approved position sources, which include the GNS430W. The STC should permit a fully compliant installation that allows the highest data quality.
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Because the engineering workshop presumeably doesnt have the required skills to connect the data NMEA line to the NMEA input line of the trig transponder and be able to do any required paperwork to satisfy the requirements to make this minor change according to either the existing Trig STC or to follow the standard mods route.
By GrahamB
TLRippon wrote:Can someone please tell me why the received wisdom is the following can't be done legally:

I have a Trig TT31, a GNS430 WAAS and an EASA aircraft.

I want an avionics shop to use some sort of wiring magic to connect the two together so the transponder emits an ADSB signal.

Why not?

You can. The Commanders are on the AML.

I had my AA5 done two weeks ago. You may need to get the software versions in the 430W and the TT31 updated to the correct levels though.
A note from a problem a friend had connecting a 430 to his transponder in a PA28. I seem to recall that the 430 doesn't send the data to the transponder unless a plan/destination is active (doesn't matter to where), although the 430W sends the data as soon as it gets a GPS fix.

This caused some confusion when doing some testing...
By GrahamB
TLRippon wrote:Do you mind me asking what that ran to cost wise Graham?

It's not quite straightforward to quote an exact cost, as it was tied in with lot of other avionics work I was having done, but looking at the invoice it was probably about £350 inc VAT. This included sending the 430W back to Harry M. for a s/w upgrade, a s/w upgrade to the TT31, and all configuration and certification paperwork costs.
TLRippon liked this
By GrahamB
TLRippon wrote:Oh! I wonder what happens when your equipment is old and you aren’t buying anything? I had the TT 31 the first year they came out and the GNS430 was upgraded to WAAS by Garmin about six years ago at least.

You will need the software upgrades almost certainly then, at least for the TT31, if not the 430W. My kit was of similar vintage.