Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Next time you fly, hold a metal tin over the iPhone and observe the results.

I have a GNS 2000 you're welcome to borrow for trial of fully aviationist GPS signal.

Peter
By johnm
Not seen that with iPad fixed onto the yoke, haven't tried my iPhone 4s, the screen's too small :roll:
By PeteSpencer
I don't get the problem on my yoke mounted iPad mini which I use in portrait mode, i.e. the GPS aerial is at the top.

Is your iPhone 6 mounted in portrait? If it's landscape, the aerial will be at one side, and orientated differently, which may further compromise reception.

Peter
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
This post is based on limited knowledge (just enough to be dangerous), so take it with a pinch of salt.

Most GPS use your motion through space to calculate a heading. iStuff also have a built in MEMS magnetic compass which navigation software may or may not use. I believe the developer has a choice.

Scenario 1: The Aware app uses mag heading but SD does not. If the GPS is flaky then Aware will still display a good heading but SD will wander.

Scenario 2: SD uses mag heading but Aware does not. If the magnetic compass is being affected by nearby metalwork (or a metallic iPhone case) then SD will get confused but Aware will be blissfully unaware of the compass and just use GPS.

As I said, just guessing really!
By TheFarmer
Thanks for all the suggestions.

It’s mounted in portrait up on the coaming and not obstructed at all. I tried it again today with the same issues.

I’m amazed if I’m the only person who has this, and it must be really annoying for people on long trips?

Someone suggested it was the fact I was charging it at the same time but that made no difference either.

There’s a small amount of irony I suppose in that I’ve never known why everyone raves about it, and when I try it it doesn’t work!!
By neilmurg
TheFarmer wrote:I’ve never known why everyone raves about it, and when I try it it doesn’t work!!
Work the problem logically and methodically. There's no irony, just eliminating likely candidates, it's likely a GPS issue. Airframe masking / faulty GPS / software problem (OS or App), device orientation / 2nd GPS source / relocate device. Record device versions OS version and App version.
You haven't said if you've asked the experts, you have said that you don't believe in a scientific approach, so maybe perform an exorcism.
By Lockhaven
TheFarmer wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions.

It’s mounted in portrait up on the coaming and not obstructed at all. I tried it again today with the same issues.

I’m amazed if I’m the only person who has this, and it must be really annoying for people on long trips?

Someone suggested it was the fact I was charging it at the same time but that made no difference either.

There’s a small amount of irony I suppose in that I’ve never known why everyone raves about it, and when I try it it doesn’t work!!

On the odd occasion I have had exactly the same issue while operating SD on an iPhone, basically it is a lack of GPS signal, the problem doesn't occur when flying lower down and the phone is also picking up 3G or 4G signals.

The problem doesn't occur when I have the phone or iPad bluetooth linked to a Garmin Glo receiver mounted on the coaming.
PeteSpencer, neilmurg liked this
By Dave W
And yet the first two hits on such a Google search say:

Every modern smartphone has GPS capability that works just as well as that of a dedicated device. In fact, in some cases they may actually get a faster fix on your location since smartphones are able to use cell tower triangulation to augment the GPS technology.

and

But in the age of Waze, does anyone still need a PND? My conclusion: In most cases, probably not. Unless you’re into dash cams.

Could you provide a synopsis on what the relevant differences are for GA pilots?