Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As a recent user of SD, can anyone tell me if this kind of behaviour is normal? It happens constantly, and when I'm flying on a constant track.

Delete app and reinstall? Try a different device maybe?

By Rob P
I'm no expert, but that looks to me like a gps issue rather than an app issue.

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
That's intermittent loss of satellite reception: what device are you using? Do you have a separate aerial?

If you are using internal device aerial, borrow a small bluetooth GPS and shove it on the coaming

****.**Edit such as Garmin Glo or GNS2000

Peter
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
By PeteSpencer
TheFarmer wrote:It's an iPhone 8. Weirdly though, my Aware app doesn't do it, so I'm not sure it's GPS.

I may be wrong, but iPhones don't track as many Satellites as dedicated aviation GPSs.

Peter
By PeteSpencer
TheFarmer wrote:I didn’t realise SD needed a separate antenna on iPhones . :?

It doesn’t but if your device is being ‘shaded’ by say ,a/c structure, then if it normally seeks fewer satellites it may run out of options for signal cover.
It looks like the aircraft symbol loses signal then tries to park in the North up default position then suddenly picks up signal again and goes back to track .

Somebody with better knowledge than me will be along in a minute.

I’m out

Peter
By johnm
Are you sure you aren't rolling from side to side :-)

Seriously though where is the iPhone mounted?? It needs a good view of the sky. Have you any other apps running that would look at the GPS, it's usually sensible to stop all the other apps while flying.
TheFarmer liked this
By PaulSS
Weirdly though, my Aware app doesn't do it, so I'm not sure it's GPS.

Is that Pilot Aware or some other app? I'm just seeing where your iPhone is getting its GPS data; internally or from another source, such as PAW.
By Dave W
Given the canopy on your aircraft (unless you've replaced it again recently ;)), it seems unlikely it's a GPS antenna position issue.

I've never seen that on any of the hardware I've run SD on. I wonder if it might be a magnetometer issue in the iPhone? Certainly to me it seems more of an iPhone issue than an SD issue, but probably still worth asking on the SD forums as they will know what could cause the software to react like that.
By mmcp42
I've seen the same effect when using SD on my iPad on a commercial flight
caused by losing satellites

odd that it happens in a GA vehicle
iPhone on your lap?
By Rob P
Farmer

If you want to check I have a redundant Android phone I'm happy to donate in exchange for a 'sometime' beer

Rob P