Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob P
If I am repeating something that has appeared before I am sorry, but the link is to a map that shows where DJI drones are restricted from operating.

Bembridge, but not Sandown etc. And lots more anomalies

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

Rob P
By carlmeek
Most smaller airfields seem to be missing

Deanland EGKL for example
Also gliding sites.

Also laser sites and a couple of other restricted zones.

Also nuclear power stations

Basically it’s Carp! Prisons seem to be very well listed though!!!
By Rob P
Presumably we are informed of laser sites for reasons of eye damage? Not a big issue for drone owners.

Rob P
By Nomad63
I would encourage the use of the NATS Drone assist app for a better overview, though I have to say since getting involved with Drones I am increasingly aware of the number of people using them that have little apptitude and are seemingly bereft of the common sense and consideration of others that would lead them to take any factors into account beyond their own fun
IME it's not just a few bad apples, there are quite a number fitting this description

Sorry, a pet annoyance for me recently
johnm liked this
By Rob P
Nomad63 wrote:... people using them that have little apptitude

Nice new word.

Natural ability in using a smartphone or tablet?

Rob P
kanga, Maxthelion liked this
By rikur_
Their coverage of prisons is pretty poor too - the no fly zones they depict are smaller than the official Restricted Areas (presumably the RA applies to drones??)

Whilst there is a disclaimer above the map, I can't help thinking that no information is better than providing widely inaccurate information.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Steve J
Nomad63 wrote:I would encourage the use of the NATS Drone assist app

+1. There is a web interface at https://dronesafetymap.com/. The DfT's Project Chatham is supposed to be producing a definitive geoawareness database.

Moli wrote:Drone regs changed earlier this year, they are now not permitted to be flown within 1km of any airfield boundary....

The term used is "protected aerodrome". From ANO article 94B -

“protected aerodrome” means -

(a) an EASA certified aerodrome;
(b) a Government aerodrome;
(c) a national licensed aerodrome; or
(d) an aerodrome that is prescribed or of a prescribed description.

Steve
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
rikur_ wrote:Their coverage of prisons is pretty poor too - the no fly zones they depict are smaller than the official Restricted Areas (presumably the RA applies to drones??)

Actually, no. RAs apply to exactly what the RA says it applies to (ENR 5.1). The prison RAs mostly refer to helicopters and 'toy' drones are not considered helicopters in this context. I think we can expect some updates now that the legislation around drones is becoming clearer.
By avtur3
carlmeek wrote:Most smaller airfields seem to be missing

Deanland EGKL for example
Also gliding sites.

Also laser sites and a couple of other restricted zones.

Also nuclear power stations

Basically it’s Carp! Prisons seem to be very well listed though!!!

Some football stadiums are covered, but inconsistently, as a Manchester born lad I couldn't help but notice that City's Etihad Stadium is marked while United's Old Trafford Stadium isn't.

Mind you that could be a comment on Mourinho's lot :lol:
idlelayabout liked this
By Rob P
rikur_ wrote:
Whilst there is a disclaimer above the map, I can't help thinking that no information is better than providing widely inaccurate information.

The map isn't for information in the sense you mean it.

It informs the owners of that particular brand of the areas in which their drone WON'T operate as it is gps/electronically barred from operating in the areas shown.

Rob P
rikur_ liked this
By Nomad63
Rob P wrote:
Nomad63 wrote:... people using them that have little apptitude

Nice new word.

Natural ability in using a smartphone or tablet?

Rob P

Thanks for pointing that out, after all it's so **** important
Moli liked this
By Rob P
Hard to tell from your post if you are somehow upset or not. That was not my intention, I genuinely like the word you accidentally created, it amuses me quite a lot (and Kanga too I see).

If you are upset, then it's your problem, not mine.

Rob P
By Crash one
None of my business but this juvenile practice of picking silly holes in minor spelling/grammatical errors, then saying “sorry, I didn’t mean to upset you” indicates to me that that the perpetrator is nothing short of childish. Grow up! Get a ‘kin grip, and act like a real person!
This forum is full people that seem to take a delight in doing it.
If you have nothing to add to the discussion, shut the f’k up.
SteveC, Moli liked this
By Tim Dawson
I sometimes wonder if people who react so badly to being corrected on spelling and grammar also react badly when somebody points out something in their flying that could be improved.

Personally I like being corrected if I'm wrong. It means I've learned something.
Dusty_B, Flyin'Dutch', Rob P and 6 others liked this