Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By marioair
Following on from this https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=110549&start=30 thread I thought I'd ask about anyone with experience and recommendation of routing from SE england (Biggin Hill) to Cologne **VFR**

Drawing a direct line from Gent to Cologne takes you through the folowing airspace
Brussels
Diest Restricted Area
Maastrict
Norvenich
By letpmar
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have called in there twice this year VFR though I stopped in Bon Hangelar EDKB, I don’t know how easy it is to go into EDDK itself. On leaving I got a great low level transit up the Rhine and over the cathedral. Happy to talk to you about routing if it’s VFR.

Pete
pete@boogieclub.co.uk
By Paul_Sengupta
If you fly into Hangelar, it's only a few stops on the U-bahn from Siegburg where the medieval market is. From there you can get an S-bahn (or ICE!) to Cologne. If you wanted to see Bonn as well, you could then take it in on the way back, going from Cologne to Bonn on the train, then taking the U-bahn to Hangelar, approaching it from the other side.
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
Contrary to appearances on the chart, Belgium is a doddle to cross. Plan for a straight line and Brussels will guide you through, with handovers as required (e.g. Liege Approach). They kept me fairly low on my various transits (1500 to 2500ft), but the cloud base has been a limiting factor in any case.
By letpmar
Give me a call,it’s easier to talk through the route I think.
EBKT for customs then north or south of Brussels and almost direct after that
As said above, Brussels keep you low and for a lot of it you need to be below 1500 over some fairly built up areas.

Pete
letpmar wrote:I have called in there twice this year VFR though I stopped in Bon Hangelar EDKB, I don’t know how easy it is to go into EDDK itself.

I visit EDDK regularly, but usually IFR (in a light twin). The total cost is usually about €130 (+ parking €5 per day) including the GA minimum handling by BACC, who are an excellent example of how GA handling should work at major airfields. ATC is also pretty good, and it's usually worth asking for the shorter 14R/32L if available to keep you out of the way of the airlines. Train into Köln is easy, cheap and quick.

I'd be interested in a report back on the VFR routing, in case I need to use it one day.
By marioair
letpmar wrote:Give me a call,it’s easier to talk through the route I think.
EBKT for customs then north or south of Brussels and almost direct after that
As said above, Brussels keep you low and for a lot of it you need to be below 1500 over some fairly built up areas.

Pete

Pete
What’s the point of stopping at EBKT? I’m hoping just to go direct to EDDK.