Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Having flown with Bose ANC headsets for virtually as long as they have been around I can say that stall warners, gear warning horn, misfiring cylinders and an exhaust falling off are easily noted when using the ANC headset.

They do take some getting used to - I reckon about 30 seconds.
Rob P, PaulB, T67M and 3 others liked this
By riverrock
Agree with the others - I can hear all warnings without issue in Lightspeed Zulus. They specifically are designed to remove engine noise, not others. I can hear the clicking of fuel pump (etc) more easily with Zulus on than off, as that sound (and others) isn't masked.
By T67M
seanxair wrote:Are ANR any good for ignition generated electrical interference?

Nope, ANR won't do a thing for electrical noise, only low-frequency sound waves carried in the air. As others have said, ANR only attenuates the lower frequencies, and only repetitive noises, so it has virtually no effect on stall warners etc, nor on any signals carried through the wires.

seanxair wrote:(All other avenues exhausted :? )

All other avenues? At the risk of chronic thread drift, that seems unlikely given the number of aircraft flying with no ignition noise. You just haven't found the actual cause yet. Certainly it can be hard to find sometimes - I'm aware of one aircraft (SEP) where the eventual cause wasn't found until the engine (remember, SEP) was deliberately shut down in flight. If I remember correctly (for some reason I declined the offer to participate in that particular test flight!), it was eventually traced to the ground plane for one of the radio antennas being bonded to the wrong earth. Getting star-point earthing right is critical and surprisingly easy to make a mess of with just one extra ground wire added with the best of intentions but in the wrong place.
Ian Melville, seanxair liked this
By seanxair
T67M wrote:
seanxair wrote:Are ANR any good for ignition generated electrical interference?

Nope, ANR won't do a thing for electrical noise, only low-frequency sound waves carried in the air. As others have said, ANR only attenuates the lower frequencies, and only repetitive noises, so it has virtually no effect on stall warners etc, nor on any signals carried through the wires.

Well that has saved me a few bob thanks!

seanxair wrote:(All other avenues exhausted :? )

All other avenues? At the risk of chronic thread drift, that seems unlikely given the number of aircraft flying with no ignition noise. You just haven't found the actual cause yet. Certainly it can be hard to find sometimes - I'm aware of one aircraft (SEP) where the eventual cause wasn't found until the engine (remember, SEP) was deliberately shut down in flight. If I remember correctly (for some reason I declined the offer to participate in that particular test flight!), it was eventually traced to the ground plane for one of the radio antennas being bonded to the wrong earth. Getting star-point earthing right is critical and surprisingly easy to make a mess of with just one extra ground wire added with the best of intentions but in the wrong place.

Radio is new handheld, run on battery only. New everything else, wiring wise. Ignition interference leaks in somehow via the antenna (new), cabling (new) etc, etc. Google 'Jabiru engine interference' and find half the cosmos used in storing the various threads. Any cures have largely been accidental and not replicated in identical aircraft. Turning it into a glider works but not for long! :shock:
By dangerous pete
We have had two aircraft land minus wheels at my local midlands airfield in recent months. Both pilots were wearing ANR headsets, They were both complicated landings so it was a high workload. The pilots could hear the u/c warning horn going but it was a background noise rather than a loud warning and got ignored.
By Iceman
If you're relying on a gear warning horn to avert a gear-up then I would suggest that you didn't ought to be flying retractables as you've already missed just about every basic downwind / final check in the book.

Iceman 8)
By Lefty
I use Bose A20’s almost every day in a variety of light aircraft and I have never (yet) failed to hear the “I’m ready to land” buzzer.

Try a stall (incipient) at a safe altitude, then perhaps try holding off in the flare for a little longer.