Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By VubeMegud
Hi Folks,

Newbie here, desperate to learn to fly…

Searched through the board but couldn't find any threads to answer my question.
I started flying last year, currently 50+ hours on various SEP aircraft.
Now on final stages of my studies for EASA PPL Theory and planning on taking the exam in February.
Although my home base is Austria, I travel a lot within Europe for business and am unable to stay longer than a couple of days or weeks in a certain location, therefore unable to continue flight training with a fixed base flight school.
Already contacted some ATOs throughout Europe and asked whether they could arrange training windows (like 4-5 consecutive days) with an aircraft equipped with G1000 and position it whereever I happen to be - money being no object.
More than half did not respond, those who did either could not understand the request or simply said nope.

Am I chasing my own tail here??

Thanks in advance for your comments...
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Various schools and various SEPs at various times sounds like hard and painful work.

If money is no object buy your own G1000 equipped aeroplane and hire an instructor through an ATO based at the airfield closest to your home base.

Fly with your instructor across the EU to where you need to be and do the rest of the PPL that way.

Alternatively do a deal with the Cirrus folks in Poland and get it done over a number of stints.
By Gentoo
If money is no object then until you can take a few weeks off just pay for an instructor to fly with you every time you want to fly.

I am not sure how they would log it, but it would be appropriate for you to have experience of the different local areas and national idiosyncrasies, also it could be classed as a navigation exercise.

If you go to the same place multiple times they may even be able to sign you out solo for a NavEx.

I say may, I don't know if there are rules about training in multiple places but as far as I know there is no maximum hours for a PPL so you can just be a student in lots of places until you can find time to get to test.
By Ben K
VubeMegud wrote:Am I chasing my own tail here??

Yes. If you're 50 hours in, bite the bullet, take a month off, go find one school you like and take the time to get the last of the training and test done in one place, with continuity of instruction.
By Mutley
The problem is that any school with a G1000 equipped aircraft is likely to have a number of regular customers using it for training - so taking it out of circulation for a week isn't a realistic option. Ditto for instructors.

Also, in my experience "money no object" normally turns in to "how much?" once transit costs, expenses, costs for full time presence, additional costs associated with operating out-of-base (landing fees, parking, more expensive fuel and all the things you can't do in your marginal time because you are away) are added on - so it's rarely worth the time and effort of coming up with a price. If you want their attention you could always offer to pay, say, the equivalent of an hour's aircraft rental for them to come up with a proposal for you.
Charliesixtysix liked this
By Balliol
ATO/DTO approvals are based around the training location, you cannot do a roving training operation so it will never be possible that way.
By Gertie
Mutley wrote:The problem is that any school with a G1000 equipped aircraft is likely to have a number of regular customers using it for training - so taking it out of circulation for a week isn't a realistic option. Ditto for instructors.

Yes. No sane business is going to inconvenience their long term regular customers to accommodate someone who's only going to give them a few days' work and then b*gg*r off again.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
To the OP

If you want it badly enough you’ll find a way. Don’t expect people to run around after you. They won’t.

It’s no different to learning to drive. If you can’t afford the time or the cash then you can’t pass the test. Simple really. No one can help you except yourself.

Sorry!
Rob P, Danny, Wide-Body and 1 others liked this
By RisePilot
So after having trouble searching a topic, you start a thread with an unintelligible and ambiguous title.

You add to the problem you highlight. No damn wonder, search is useless on this forum.
By PaulB
just use google and append your search terms with "site:forums.flyer.co.uk" (without the quotes)
By joe-fbs
Hello VubeMegud,
To finish your PPL I reckon that you need to take some time off and just do it. To guarantee that working you probably need to head south. Spain? South Africa?

Just looking ahead, with your roaming life and access to a lot of money, maybe one of your better options is, once you have built some basic flying experience, look at an IR and owning an aeroplane with decent navigation, a measure of anti-ice and high altitude capability. With that you could make flying part of your life rather than an impractical add-on. That said, I would suggest not trying to run before you can walk.

To be honest, you seem to be in a position of nice problem to have :-)

Good luck with it all.
JAFO liked this