Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By MichaelP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Early on from the outside, it didn’t look like the flaps had been fully retracted prior to aerobatics.

Better flying example was the “Some Mother’s do ‘ave them” Christmas show.

In Canada they do not stall turn the Aerobat, because this manoeuvre is not in the flight manual.
And they don’t do inverted flight because there’s no inverted system.
I used to close the throttle and glide inverted!

No flat landings were shown in this video.
By Flyin'Dutch'
flybymike wrote:Love the sixties hairdo.

Not just that - looked up the female pilot and foundd this in a 1971 edition of the 99s magazine:

A tour of Beech followed and then ready for the second gala event at the home of MARY AKIN. She raises registered horses, flies air races, and does aerobatic demonstrations when she is not throwing a “Safari” bash in her yard. Numerous “ punjabs” served “ woody juice” to us while we dodged python snakes in the trees and were entertained by a swim­ ming exhibition. These young ladies were

A different world
flybymike, Bobcro liked this
By Korenwolf
Smashing little aircraft, IMHO...especially if you could find a Reims-built FRA150, because they came with proper anti-corrosion protection as standard. Even if you don't want to do aeros in them, the stronger airframe and cabin roof windows are a real plus.

Of course, getting hold of one with a decent O-240 would be hard, if not impossible these days. Fearnley Lynn of Busy Bee at Sibson was a fan of the Aerobat, last time I was there I counted three of them out to grass, all without donks... :(

Oh, and pedant mode on; they didn't come out until 1970.
Lockhaven liked this
By rogcal
Korenwolf wrote: Fearnley Lynn of Busy Bee at Sibson was a fan of the Aerobat, last time I was there I counted three of them out to grass, all without donks... :(

Oh, and pedant mode on; they didn't come out until 1970.

Fearnley Lynn, now there's a blast from the past!

I well remember the last 4-5 hours of my PPL being spent at Sibson in G-AXRT during the early part of 1976, doing not much else other than aeros with a young instructor named Martin Hollis.

We both learnt a lot about how not to do certain manoeuvers but both being self taught we couldn't expect anything else. A very forgiving aircraft when in the hands of novices.

I saw XT a few years later at a PFA rally sporting a tailwheel! I still wonder did she perform aeros any differently in this configuration?
By Rob L
cockney steve wrote:Hmmmm....All that extra reinforcing only added 16 pounds?......I wonder what they omitted or lightened to get the additional weight down. Typical @salesman puffs . :?

Nothing. The extra weight was from using 0.032" skins instead of 0.025" on the L/E for example.

(Great video...I wonder how heavy was the camera back in those days!)
Flyin'Dutch', Lockhaven liked this
By Rob L
Maxthelion wrote:Crikey, that's some neat flying. They don't land em like that at the 'Bushe.

They probably don't have Instructors anymore, just wannabe airline pilots*.

* Other airfields with the same symptoms are available :wink:
TheFarmer, Rob P liked this
By MichaelP
Attention is paid to “rotate speeds” I've overheard a few times... Definitely airline stuff!

When I learned, I learned in the Cessna 150.
Landings were nose up with a telling off if you let the nosewheel plonk onto the runway.
Brian Claridge would thump me :| (MeToo) :roll:

These days I get comments, ‘you teach them to land like it’s a tailwheel aeroplane’.
Why not?
Especially important in an AA5.

On the subject... I didn’t know that the Aerobat was not cleared to do stall turns because this is not in the fright manual, sorry POH, until I went to Canada.

Risk of a tail slide?