Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PaulB
Cessna57 wrote:.. if I want to see gliders, it’s £119 a year.

That's a rather contrived way of looking at it...

As I HAVE to use SD to see gliders.

no you don't, you could buy FLARM.... and as uAvionix say above, other EFBs could do a licensing deal similar to SD.
By TexasUK
1. CAA should mandate ADS-B in/out so that every glider pilot has to buy an SE2 (or equivalent).
2. Someone should build a device that provides the same functionality for glider pilots as Flarm does
3. SkyDemon doesn't have to license anything
4. We can all get rid of Flarm and be on one standard for EC in all GA, including commercial.
No doubt other apps will follow our lead in due course. They are free to do so.
PaulB, Dave W, Charliesixtysix and 8 others liked this
By johnm
As a very happy Skydemon user for both IFR and VFR travel I think this is another example of Tim innovating to keep his product fresh and vibrant. So well done Tim and Uavionix and even FLARM because they could have made this impossible.

The best solution for long term will be everybody outputting ADS-B, gliders can still use FLARM alongside for their specific niche requirements.

In the meantime all credit to Skydemon, PAW and Uavionix for driving all this forward, all have contributed something and deserve our thanks.
PaulB, townleyc, flybymike and 19 others liked this
By Cessna57
Oh well, i suppose it just INCREASES the stranglehold that Flarm have on EC.

Shame, I thought SE2 was going to be the final answer, once and for all. All they’ve done is team up with Flarm so now powered pilots have to pay £30 a year too.

Massive coup for Flarm.
Some people are so miserable you could give them a free bag of gold coins and they’d find a way to complain about it.

Anyway.

A lot of the credit for this belongs to uAvionix. I had to approach Flarm and they immediately saw the feasibility of the idea, and we eventually worked out the logistics, but I’m pretty sure uAvonix had the original idea.
Flyin'Dutch', Dave W, PaulB and 25 others liked this
By Dave W
Cessna57 wrote:Shame, I thought SE2 was going to be the final answer, once and for all. All they’ve done is team up with Flarm so now powered pilots have to pay £30 a year too.

What else would you have happen?

FLARM is a proprietary system. If you want to see it directly (i.e. rather than via a ground-based OGN-R station) then FLARM require you to pay, one way or the other.

All this equine dentistry is daft; this is something to celebrate, not carp about.
Cessna57 wrote:
Massive coup for Flarm.

Clearly it is a boon for FLARM as they can sell more of their product.

Those of us who don't want/need to have FLARM direct in and are happy to use the OGN/PAW offering are free to do so.

However those of us who want to use FLARM directly without an OGN solution and also want FLARM outside of the UK can now use this combo and see FLARM equipped aeroplanes.

Glass more than half full here.
ls8pilot liked this
By rikur_
A lot of the credit for this belongs to uAvionix. I had to approach Flarm and they immediately saw the feasibility of the idea, and we eventually worked out the logistics, but I’m pretty sure uAvonix had the original idea.

Sounds like a good example of what happens when people work together to look for solutions, rather than ranting about their misunderstandings of the problem.
ls8pilot, FrankS, kanga liked this
Cessna57 wrote:Oh well, i suppose it just INCREASES the stranglehold that Flarm have on EC.

Shame, I thought SE2 was going to be the final answer, once and for all. All they’ve done is team up with Flarm so now powered pilots have to pay £30 a year too.

Massive coup for Flarm.

For me this really epitomises the problem I have with PAW. You are free to develop your product in whatever way you want, but there really is no need for the histrionics which are displayed whenever anyone says or does anything which could possibly affect your profits. In fact it does strike me as "pot calling kettle black" when you have chosen to stick with a proprietary transmission protocol and not go down the ADSB route presumably so you can continue to charge an annual licence fee for PAW.

I have a PAW, and it is OK. However, this is an initiative which I think is fantastic, and this is the route I will be taking as soon as the CAA get their finger out and sort out the whole "simultaneous Mode S and ADSB" situation.
rikur_ liked this
So an extra £2.50 a month to directly see nearly all gliders on SD?
That means at least one fewer latte, or three minutes' tacho time a month.

Not sure it's worth that sort of sacrifice... :D

@TimDawson...So when can we expect this welcome update?
Cash waiting. :D
Tim Dawson, G-BLEW, gapper liked this