Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By gaznav
All

Nothing to stop you using this with other FLARM devices althoughI believe it was originally developed for the Power FLARM Core. Also, Paul beat me to it - that blade is an omni antenna so it is not directional (although it will have reduced sensitivity directly overhead and below).
So just to clarify things,the conclusion I draw from the last few exchanges is that the performance of the Flarm receiver in SkyEcho2 is akin to Classic Flarm and not a match for the performance of say a PowerFlarm unit?
By Buzz53
Shoestring Flyer wrote:So just to clarify things,the conclusion I draw from the last few exchanges is that the performance of the Flarm receiver in SkyEcho2 is akin to Classic Flarm and not a match for the performance of say a PowerFlarm unit?

Just to avoid doubt, I didn't suggets that. It seems nobody has yet tested SkyEcho Flarm for real. I have tested Classic Flarm against a more modern unit and found Classic Flarm to be insensitive. Hopefully Classic Flarm is the odd one out and SkyEcho will perform internally similarly to Power Flarm (but nobody knows).

Where I, and I think others, are dubious is that SkyEcho has a relatively small, internal antenna, presumably not optimised for Flarm (as it was designed for UAT) , surrounded by other electronics, and the whole thing will generally be mounted inside a metal aircraft structure. Given the difficulty of getting good Flarm performance even in gliders this is not a good start. There is no option for an external antenna. So really it needs comparative testing on the ground under controlled conditions (fairly quick) but mainly testing in the air under the rather varied conditions of real use, which is neither quick nor easy although a first impression can be gleaned.

Alan
Thanks for the corrections/clarifications. Mine was a short response from my phone. The point being more about there not being any difference between the received signal in terms of frequency, protocol, or content from a classic flarm vs. power flarm - so SE2 will receive both, although at different ranges due to the different transmit power levels of each.

And yes, reception will be more in line with classic flarm than a power flarm unit, or one with an external antenna.

The screenshot below is a classic flarm transmitter on the ground with an SE2 in the aircraft. Detection/line of sight depends upon placement of the SE2 in the cockpit, but here we are showing a distance of about 5km at -1600ft.
By Bathman
Could someone explain to me what the difference between American ADS-B and UK ADS-B?

And presumably that is why is there a SkyEcho UK/Europe. I ask this because I would much rather buy the Skybeacon/TailBeacon.
Bathman wrote:Could someone explain to me what the difference between American ADS-B and UK ADS-B?

And presumably that is why is there a SkyEcho UK/Europe. I ask this because I would much rather buy the Skybeacon/TailBeacon.

In the US, 2 different frequencies are used - 978MHz, and 1090MHz. In the UK, and pretty much the rest of the world, only 1090MHz is used.

Unfortunately, skyBeacon/tailBeacon are 978MHz, also known as UAT, so they are not applicable in the UK.

The weather broadcasts we are conducing are over 978MHz/UAT, and both SE and SE2 have a 978MHz receiver in them, so you can receive these broadcasts. Other 978MHz receivers exist as well.
gaznav liked this
By gaznav
leemoore1966 wrote:
gaznav wrote:I don’t know, I haven’t managed to test it yet! ;-)

Hi Gaz
Were you not using it here ?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=110690&start=45#p1659988
gaznav wrote:... the FLARM traffic at Hinton or Bicester that I was seeing on the ground or in the process of launching ...

Hi Lee

No I was using OGN to see what FLARM traffic was out there whilst trying to get mine working - I think I may have an older pre-production SE2 unit that doesn’t have the full FLARM functionality. Mine was delivered as part of the beta-testing trials late last summer and so that seems likely. Being Christmas and all that, then I need to wait to have a chat with the company to see if that is correct.

However, that was why I was surprised that SL was not seeing the FLARM tracks on his PAW/SD combo whilst I was watching the same picture on my SE2 (ADS-B) and the OGN (FLARM) but with the FLARM tracks missing from his screenshot.

Finally, this SoftRF seems interesting in that they claim that they can see FLARM but also, more importantly, the FLARM can see it:

https://github.com/lyusupov/SoftRF/wiki ... ifications

So they appear to be receiving FLARM data and transmitting it without paying a FLARM licence. I wonder how they are managing to do that?
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Two things.

1) They probably don't care about litigation

2) They are using a proper transceiver chip and not an SDR, therefore TX is a possibility

PilotAware could do Flarm RX/TX trivially too, but are obviously (and probably sensibly) more wary of litigation.
gaznav liked this
FlarmTx is theoretically possible, but without a hardware change - it would transmit at 20W (which is not legal). Therefore, there is no future firmware upgrade for SE2 that would enable Flarm TX.

We do NOT intend to introduce an "SE3" with this capability at any time in the foreseeable future. Possibly an "add-on" similar to FlarmBridge- but the future here is unclear at the moment.
gaznav liked this
gaznav wrote:However, that was why I was surprised that SL was not seeing the FLARM tracks on his PAW/SD combo whilst I was watching the same picture on my SE2 (ADS-B) and the OGN (FLARM) but with the FLARM tracks missing from his screenshot.

Finally, this SoftRF seems interesting in that they claim that they can see FLARM but also, more importantly, the FLARM can see it:

Hi Gaz,

What was your location when we were both looking at the Hinton traffic?
Were you viewing the OGN via the web or a live receiver (you may have been getting the picture from a different OGN to me?)
ATB
SL
By gaznav
Straight Level wrote:
gaznav wrote:However, that was why I was surprised that SL was not seeing the FLARM tracks on his PAW/SD combo whilst I was watching the same picture on my SE2 (ADS-B) and the OGN (FLARM) but with the FLARM tracks missing from his screenshot.

Hi Gaz,

What was your location when we were both looking at the Hinton traffic?
Were you viewing the OGN via the web or a live receiver (you may have been getting the picture from a different OGN to me?)
ATB
SL

Hi SL

I was standingin the bedroom window looking towards Hinton (West of Brackley). I was looking at the OGN via the webapp and my SE2 was stuck on the window.

Gaz