Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By gaznav
^^^^I have only been a Beta-tester for the second model as I bought and fully paid for the first model. When they released the new model they were quick to contact me about it and explain what would be backwards compatible with the old model. After the initial Beta for the second model was over, and I was told to send it back for a later version, I had an issue with the software and they sent me a patch within 24hrs of asking. All works fine for me just now. Just to keep the exact record straight. :thumright:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
cockney steve wrote:^^^^^^^^ As you appear to be a Beta- tester (where others are paying for that "privilege" ) I should damn well hope they do jump to the switch when the excreta hits the fan.;-)

Sorry to spoil your party, but I’m not a beta tester and have paid through the nose. I still find the customer service to be excellent.
Flyin'Dutch', gaznav, Nick liked this
By Cub
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dave Phillips wrote:Cub, I’ve had my SE2 for about 6 weeks now and haven’t had any problems. I’ve had the battery down to red on 4 or 5 occasions and the only issue is that I can’t get it back to green if it is switched on and charging from the aircraft’s USB supply. I suspect this is just a P=IxV thing as it will fully charge if switched-off or powered from an alternative supply.

I wish I had read this a couple of days ago or UAvionix had described the scenario. I tried charging the SE2 from another (higher power) USB source and it has come back to life! Unfortunately, it is now dark and too late to go hunting gliders.
Flyin'Dutch', gaznav liked this
By gaznav
Ok, so today I dropped into RAF Benson to have a look at some FLARMs as fitted to the RAF’s Grob Tutor fleet. Also, to coordinate with ATC that we would be looking at various Grobs in the same airspace. Detection range seemed pretty reasonable at 5 miles or so, which is as good as FLARM vs FLARM, so I couldn’t really hope for much more from the SkyEcho 2. However, given that this is a cockpit mounted device (on the rear right hand window), with internal antennae, that has detected in excess of 5 miles with me and the airframe in and around it, then I think this is really excellent. Here is a screenshot that I managed to grab - “4060DD” is the FLARM ID.

Thanks to @Balliol - I’m not sure if this was you or one of the other AEF/UAS pilots.

Now for something else - @Tim Dawson

My latest version of SkyDemon is now showing these great big circles around ADS-B aircraft. @leemoore1966 mentioned these last month but now it is the first time I have seen them. They are definitely linked to position quality and in the screenshot above G-SBOL that I was following is using a SIL=1 SkyEcho which did not show any such circles throughout its flight. However, below are 2x screen shots of other ADS-B aircraft with MASSIVE circles around them - I can only assume they have low position quality or are SIL=0. The question is Tim, are they necessary? Is there a way to select them “on/off” in SkyDemon? I really found them a distraction and really cluttered the SkyDemon display - I also noted that when 2 overlaid each other it was really hard to see the detail underneath. Here are 2 screenshots:

Yes, that’s about a 15 mile circle around that aircraft! :pale:
Last edited by gaznav on Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By bookworm
My latest version of SkyDemon is now showing these great big circles around ADS-B aircraft.

What makes you think they are ADS-B equipped rather than Mode S located using multilateration? You posted many times in this thread so I can't believe you don't know about the multilat development.
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
Yeah, they look pretty bad. Not sure what the best course of action is. The airframes themselves are telling us, via adsb, that their position is uncertain to that degree, so we draw it. To not draw it, now that we’ve implemented that part of the protocol, would seem potentially misleading.
kanga, Keith Vinning liked this
By gaznav
@Tim Dawson

Hi Tim

The big one below was exactly in the position indicated by the aircraft symbol - I watched it get airborne from RAF Halton. Is it possible to have it as a user selectable option?
Last edited by gaznav on Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By bookworm
gaznav wrote:Quite simply because I don’t have a multilateration capability.

I'm sorry gaznav, even by my standards that was a spectacularly dumb post. :oops: In my defence, I just returned from a flight with a PilotAware and had simply forgotten you were testing the SE2.
gaznav liked this
@gaznav
Hi Gaz
NACp is unrelated to SIL, I think SkyDemon is depicting the ADSB data correctly (EasyVFR will do the same)

SIL is a probability factor that the GPS position reported, is within the NACp containment, it is NOT a measurement of the GPS quality

So SIL=1 would simply say there is a 1 in 10,000 probability that the aircraft is outside those red rings, rather than within

Thx
Lee
kanga, gaznav, Keith Vinning liked this
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
Gaznav it’s great that particular airframe was exactly where it was saying it was, but that doesn’t really help us. The fact is that it was broadcasting a high level of uncertainty. I wonder what would make it do that.
Tim Dawson wrote:...The fact is that it was broadcasting a high level of uncertainty. I wonder what would make it do that.

My understanding (from a very good source) is that amongst other things this is primarily calculated using the Dilution of Precision HDOP, VDOP, PDOP. The ADSB encoder will be using this and other telemetry to calculate The NACp for broadcast

Thx
Lee
gaznav, Keith Vinning liked this
By gaznav
Yes, I don’t know what causes it either. The first screenshot as well, with the two overlapping circles, had aircraft in exactly the place that the aircraft symbols were shown on SkyDemon. I think when Lee and I discussed this (I can’t find the thread) it was the NACp that was being displayed. However, I have yet to see these circles on a SIL=1 device but in the top screenshot I know that HMCF is a SIL=0 microlight aircraft using a non-certified GPS source (in fact it used to have a PAW in it and I don’t know if that uses the GPS from that or whether it seperate - I’m seeing the inspector on Friday so I’ll try and ask). That is why I keep rattling on about SIL=0 vs SIL=1 (rightly or wrongly) and it is just an observation that these appear to be coincident.