Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Aeronca Alan wrote:Does anyone know if they will be open for visitors tomorrow, Wednesday, 12th December? If so, I may fly in.

There's a telephone number in the OP.
By Oldfart
No they don’t!!
Several fiends have tried recently. Either don’t answer the telephone no. advertised, or answer phone and no follow up. One got through but person on other end couldn’t give PPR.
Two left answerphone messages, flew overhead no answer on RT so diverted.
One who did make it was presented with a bill MOD scale landing fees and required a copy of his Crown Indemnity Insurance paperwork.
By djtaylor
I did a touch and go at 13:00 yesterday, I was unable to get through on the phone but they accepted me on a radio call and they accepted at least one other by radio rather than phone.
By Aeronca Alan
Aeronca Alan wrote:
Does anyone know if they will be open for visitors tomorrow, Wednesday, 12th December? If so, I may fly in.

There's a telephone number in the OP.

Thanks, but I had heard that you had to 'phone in on the day. I was wondering if anyone here had superior information about the following day. When I did phone I got through to an answer-machine.

I may want to try again on Friday. I understand they will close at 13:00. It would be nice to know before Friday whether they will or not be open.
By davey
One of our group members went yesterday and did a couple of touch and go's, and then a landing.

He was told by the controller that this was fine, but if you just turn up and land it's £50.00 :shock:
By Boycey
Please note that Charmy Down is NOT DISUSED as shown on the chart and is very close to Colerne (2miles SW). Please be vigilant and avoid flying overhead Charmy at Colerne circuit height which is very similar to ours! Please also avoid all houses near the airfield as we have noise sensitive neighbours!
We are a small group of microlights but please note the field is NOT OPEN TO VISITORS except by invitation. It is a short and challenging strip only suitable for microlights and pilots with short/farm strip flying experience. However if anyone is heading to Colerne I'd be glad to hop in and join you over there!
By BobD
davey wrote:One of our group members went yesterday and did a couple of touch and go's, and then a landing.

He was told by the controller that this was fine, but if you just turn up and land it's £50.00 :shock:

I was told when requesting PPR that I would be expected to do at least one circuit, then touch & go, as "payment" for the free landing, as this helps to keep the Controller's current. I was happy to oblige, and did 3. I was also collected and returned to my aircraft by car, for a very enjoyable visit & chat in the tower.
I understand there is no date for closure yet, so this courtesy looks like being extended until at least January.

BobD
By davey
Ok, that does sound reasonable but I don't think had been said before.

I am hoping to fly there as soon as the weather allows, just to get it in my log book, but now pleased to know the protocol.
By Smaragd
I hear that the opportunity for us to help the good folk at Colerne ATC maintain their currency involves a landing fee of £29 w.e.f. yesterday following an edict from on high. :roll: