Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By CloudHound
This has been mentioned before
RAF Colerne is closing at the end of this year, the UAS have(sic) departed, and there are guys in the control tower who have very little to do, and they wish to stay current - to this end you are invited to fly-in, no landing fees,, even to doing circuits if you require this.

If you are interested, you are required to PPR on the day to get a short briefing, once you have landed (hi-viz jackets required) they will pick you up and ferry you to the Tower, (sign a visitors document), once this is done, your free to do your own thing, not a lot there to see though, however the Fire & Rescue boys will show you around their base, however an en route stop may be the order of the day..

They will be pleased to see you 10.00 to 14.00 Monday to Friday as I said, no landing fees payable, but a small gesture is welcome (packet of biscuits/chocolates), their favourite it seems is Chocolate Hob-Nobs.

Telephone: 01225-745338
Tower/Ground: 120.075
flybymike, Flyin'Dutch', ArthurG and 2 others liked this
By chevvron
The tower is on the south side near a crash exit; don't know if it's still there but there was a pub about 100yds away in 1988 when I visited.
You could always ask ATC to show you the entrance to the nuclear bunker; according to the crash map I saw it was somewhere near the threshold of 25 and apparently the tunnel goes all the way to the Rudloe Manor complex :wink:
By Chiltern Aviator
Deffo yes as soon as time/wx available!

Remember seeing Vickers Wellington navigation trainers parked up, on the ramp, when we passed on the Choo Choo trainline just to the north of the airfield.
By map5623
My Dad was stationed there in the late 50's, we lived next to the peri track and during evening/night flying would wave to the pilots as thet taxied past in those noisy jets, as we stood on the grass.
Last edited by map5623 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By chevvron
Chiltern Aviator wrote:Deffo yes as soon as time/wx available!

Remember seeing Vickers Wellington navigation trainers parked up, on the ramp, when we passed on the Choo Choo trainline just to the north of the airfield.

Are you sure that was Colerne?
By Smaragd
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Definitely not - there's a steep valley to the N of Colerne.

Be aware of traffic to/from Garston Farm strip, within Colerne ATZ and 1.5km NW.
By gaznav
They will be pleased to see you 10.00 to 14.00 Monday to Friday as I said, no landing fees payable, but a small gesture is welcome (packet of biscuits/chocolates), their favourite it seems is Chocolate Hob-Nobs.

Two things to be wary of...

1. Make sure you have Crown Indemnity insurance to the value required of your aircraft type.

2. Whilst the station can waive landing fees they need to get MoD permission to waive the Indemnity Admin Charge (IAC). So ask them if they have done that. Also parking fees over 2 hours are not free either.

Please ask carefully what is free otherwise, it may not be ‘free’ as you expect!

JSP360 refers: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... JSP360.pdf
DarrenL liked this
By BobD
Sorry to hear that Colerne is closing. This is me on one of my early Air Experience flights in a Chipmunk from there. I think this Chippie is now on display at Hendon, must go along to visit it sometime.

gaznav liked this
By Smaragd
Today's news is that no date has been announced, an announcement may come in January, closure might be some time after that. So still open for visits - and busy today - 5 aircraft doing at least one circuit between 1100 & 1200.