Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dusty_B
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Buying a new car regularly is expensive, but when the car gets unreliable, I start looking at the passing showrooms... AMEs, Part-145s, CAMOs, AOC holders, designers will all be shopping for a new EASA approval path to keep the visiting jets and crews happy.
Flyin'Dutch', Lockhaven liked this
By SteveC
Of course, Brexit will do what EASA has struggled to do and kill off the IMCr as well. Only a UK licence holder and UK Examiner can train and test for it and the vast majority of us are moving to other EU countries to preserve our ability to work. I expect to see a very serious shortage of people able to teach it soon. Even my newly delivered UK ICAO compliant CPL is restricted to non EASA aircraft which leaves the choice of training aircraft pretty slim.......
Dusty_B liked this
By PaulB
.... but won't the G-reg aircraft leave EASA if there's no deal?
By Yakovlevs
G-BLEW wrote:The possibility of a no deal Brexit has boosted regulatory shopping. As an example, there are now airlines, schools and students using the Austrian regulator rather than the UK CAA (similarly some are using the IAA in Ireland). I have been told by several, that even if Brexit does not happen, or if it happens with a deal and we remain members of EASA, they will not revert to the UK CAA.

That's business/revenue that's lost, seemingly for good. There's a very real prospect that higher CAA costs will need to be met by a smaller number of customers.

Ian

I suppose the corollary is that some EU carriers have meanwhile sought UK approval for their operations, so the door swings both ways and the CAA is receiving new funds from AOCs that previously only held a single 'European' licence with their national regulator. Whether it makes up for the shortfall is another matter though...
By SteveC
Its a bit more complex than that. The EU states are in a much better position as they can fly into the UK on an EASA AOC as long as they then do not fly onto another UK airport. Very easy for them to do that. The UK on the would be able to do the same into Europe on a UK AOC, however the same rules apply and they would only be able to return to the UK. The likes of Ryanair and easyJet often fly into an EU destination and then onto another under a different flight. Without an EU AOC they will be unable to do this. Ryanair are IAA so not a problem and easyJet have set up with Austria. They will hold a small UK AOC to the inter UK flights but that is nor a very big market .

Where its really going to hurt is the UK AOC operators who currently do multiple hops around Europe as they will need a UK and an EU AOC to stay in business and thats big time hard on the wallet.

The issue with this forum is populated largely PPLs who don't grasp the wider implications because they think it does not effect them and their type of £100 burger runs are not really going to be effected.

In time the EASA types will no doubt become "national" again, it won't be instant but it will still leave much wider issues about flying around Europe that will need resolving. Again it will get fixed but a no deal means no deal and no overnight fix......
Katamarino, UpThere, johnm and 1 others liked this
By SteveC
ak7274 wrote:I thought you already worked in Spain Steve.

Yes I do but for a UK company. This is an incredibly complex problem for us as we have less than 5 aircraft in the fleet on the UK register. The remaining ones will ultimately have to go on an EU register as well along with all the licence and maintenance side. Its a very very very costly exercise for us.
johnm liked this
SteveC wrote:
Where its really going to hurt is the UK AOC operators who currently do multiple hops around Europe as they will need a UK and an EU AOC to stay in business and thats big time hard on the wallet.

I understand that this is one of the main reasons why flyBMI/BMI Regional folded when it did. A significant part of its business was ad-hoc charter work flying sectors wholly within mainland Europe. The closer the original Brexit date came, those charters dried up as there was no confidence of the ability to fly within the EU post-Brexit.
Flyin'Dutch', kanga, johnm liked this
By SteveC
GonzoEGLL wrote:
SteveC wrote:

I understand that this is one of the main reasons why flyBMI/BMI Regional folded when it did. A significant part of its business was ad-hoc charter work flying sectors wholly within mainland Europe. The closer the original Brexit date came, those charters dried up as there was no confidence of the ability to fly within the EU post-Brexit.

Yep, thats my understanding as well. It's going to hit plenty of other companies in the same way. We will quite likely walk away from the UK in terms of expansion. We will maintain what we have here and concentrate on the European business going forward I suspect.

Oddly enough I was talking to the chief pilot of a UK charter company recently who was a foaming mouth Brexit supporter and when I dropped the "C" bomb (cabotage) and the effect it would have on his business the dumbfounded oh **** moment was quite pleasant to watch........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
johnm, Flyin'Dutch' liked this